[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 394

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

[Ed. Note:  I’ve written about this unique program before, but it bears repeating.  SUNDAY MISCELLANY is a program like no other I’ve heard that highlights the literature, prose and poetry of the Irish nation, both historical and contemporary.  Here are three examples.  Because of music copyright restrictions, the beautiful and well selected musical interludes between each are greatly truncated on the podcasts, but can be heard in their entirety  if one streams the program from the rte.ie/radio website.]

“Sunday Miscellany Podcast, 3rd January 2021”
SUNDAY MISCELLANY - RTE Radio One
New Year meditations... snow longings... The Lass of Aughrim... and a winter bonfire.... with John O'Donnell, Lani O'Hanlon, Mary O'Donnell, Tim Carey, Michael O'Connor and John F Deane.  (35”)
https://www.rte.ie/radio/podcasts/21889555-sunday-miscellany-podcast-3rd-january-2021/

“Sunday Miscellany Sunday 17 January 2021”
SUNDAY MISCELLANY - RTE Radio One
New Writing: Leslie Charteris, The Saint With the Foul Manners, by Emer OKelly; Chicken Cajun with Tagliatelle, by Tim Carey;
Allez les Belges, by John Toal; Star, by Lani OHanlon; and Fallen, a poem by Lemn Sissay, and that was recorded at Sunday Miscellany Live at Ennis Book Festival last March 2020. (45”)
https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/sunday-miscellany/programmes/2021/0117/1190273-sunday-miscellany-sunday-17-january-2021/

“Sunday Miscellany Sunday 24 January 2021”
SUNDAY MISCELLANY - RTE Radio One
New Writing: The Younger Brother, by Dermot Bolger;  Urbanski v Urbanski, by Oliver Sears; Japanese Journeys, by Mary Dowey;
Chickengate! by Shaymus Kennedy; Boats against the Current, by Roslyn Dee. (46”)
https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/sunday-miscellany/programmes/2021/0124/1191705-sunday-miscellany-sunday-24-january-2021/

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]