[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 396

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Podcasts Go Premium”
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
Amazon-owned Wondery are launching their first British podcast, while Apple and Spotify are moving some of their most popular podcasts behind a subscription paywall. What impact will this have on the world of podcasts - and should British podcasters worry about the dominance of a few US players?  Guests: Declan Moore, Head of International at Wondery, part of Amazon; Caroline Crampton, journalist and host of Shedunnit; Imriel Morgan, Chief Executive of Content is Queen; Matt Deegan, Creative Director at Folder Media. (28”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vh5j

“Paul Dirac”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the theoretical physicist Dirac (1902-1984), whose achievements far exceed his general fame. To his peers, he was ranked with Einstein and, when he moved to America in his retirement, he was welcomed as if he were Shakespeare. Born in Bristol, he trained as an engineer before developing theories in his twenties that changed the understanding of quantum mechanics, bringing him a Nobel Prize in 1933 which he shared with Erwin Schrödinger. He continued to make deep contributions, bringing abstract maths to physics, beyond predicting anti-particles as he did in his Dirac Equation. With:Graham Farmelo, Biographer of Dirac and Fellow at Churchill College, Cambridge; Valerie Gibson, Professor of High Energy Physics at the University of Cambridge and Fellow of Trinity College; David Berman, Professor of Theoretical Physics at Queen Mary University of London (51”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09mznsm

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]