[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 405

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

"The Long Telegram"
IDEAS - CBC Radio One
They've expelled diplomats. Imposed sanctions. Fought proxy wars. Their war of words never really ends. But despite the often thorny relationship between the U.S. and Russia — and notwithstanding the brief "recall" of ambassadors that ended with a Biden-Putin summit last week — the last American ambassador to Moscow to be declared "persona non grata" and expelled by Russia was George F. Kennan in 1952.  It was the Soviet Union back then, and Joseph Stalin was in charge.  And yet that isn't the reason Kennan is still remembered in the corridors of power in Washington — and Moscow. Kennan's most consequential contribution to the relationship between the two countries came years earlier in 1946, when he authored a secret document about Russia that would eventually help launch the Cold War.  (54”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/how-to-deal-with-russia-u-s-diplomat-s-5-000-word-telegram-still-resonates-75-years-later-1.6073850

“Is Dumbness Our Destiny?”
FUTURE TENSE- ABC RN (Radio National)
Most of us are healthier, wealthier and better educated than ever before. We have greater access to knowledge and expertise than any previous generation. So, why do humans keep doing stupid things? And why is the world awash with conspiracy? Have we already passed “peak intelligence”? And if so, what can we do to ensure a smarter future?  (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/is-dumbness-our-destiny/13336642

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]