[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 408

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Afghanistan's Battle of the Airwaves”
WITNESS HISTORY - BBC World Service
When the US led invasion of Afghanistan ousted the repressive Taliban regime in 2001, it was no longer illegal to listen to music or news on the radio. Afghan businessman Saad Mohseni returned to his home town of Kabul to launch Arman FM, a new radio station which played modern music and comedy programmes amongst other things which had been banned under the Taliban. He tells Rebecca Kesby why he wanted to help rebuild the cultural life of Afghanistan, how one radio station expanded into a multimedia company, and how persistent security problems have impacted his staff.  (9”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct1x3d

“Tourism-Travel”
THINKING ALLOWED - BBC Radio 4
Laurie Taylor explores their past, present and future. He's joined by the Italian social theorist, Marco D' Eramo, whose latest book unpacks a global cultural phenomenon at the point at which some of us are considering the possibilities of foreign travel, once again. How did travelling, as an elite pastime, evolve into mass tourism? Why do tourists often despise other tourists? How 'authentic' is the average heritage site? What impact does tourism have on our cities and the environment? Might we find more 'otherness' by staying at home? They're joined by Emily Thomas, Associate Professor of Philosophy at Durham University, whose research has found that philosophers have theorised extensively about the meaning and purpose of travel in a quest to understand the complexity of the world and of ourselves.  (29”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wz4r

"We're Trapped in an Upgrade Cycle Whether We Like It or Not
SPARK - CBC Radio One
The vices and virtues of planned obsolescence.  Many of us are familiar with "planned obsolescence," the idea that our devices are designed to become useless long before they break down or stop functioning, forcing us to upgrade whether we want to or not.  But where did this idea come from, and does it have any benefits? (55”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/we-re-trapped-in-an-upgrade-cycle-whether-we-like-it-or-not-1.5917265

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]