[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 427

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“The Great Narrative Escape”
INVISIBILIA - NPR
In 2009, a couple of Norwegians pioneered a whole new genre of television: Slow TV. They debuted with the story of a train traveling from one side of the country to the other over the course of seven hours. Every once in a while, the point of view switched from a landscape shot to one of a mustachioed conductor announcing a stop or collecting tickets. Its airing was a viral event in Norway. But when an American television producer optioned the idea and took it to the U.S., it flopped. It may even be fair to say it was dead on arrival. Why would another country have such a radically different reaction? A look at how America's reliance on plot and hooks in storytelling reflects how we live, think and even participate in democracy. (58”)
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/19/998228413/the-great-narrative-escape

“American Slow Radio’”
INVISIBILIA - NPR via WHYY Philadelphia
In our episode, The Great Narrative Escape, we asked: is it possible to tell a boring story that will keep people listening? Now, we put that question to the test. Invisibilia presents our version of Slow Radio: (mostly) Americans watching Norwegian Slow TV together on the radio (by which we mean podcast). We recommend wearing headphones for this one. Can't get enough?  (41”)
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/10/1005166521/american-slow-radio

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW UPDATED 10th EDITION available soon!