[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 432

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“A Lesson from Jacques Pepin, and Dexter Filkins on the End of the Forever War”
THE NEW YORKER RADIO HOUR - NPR and WNYC New York Public Radio
The staff writer Dexter Filkins, whose best-seller about American involvement in Afghanistan was called “The Forever War,” talks about how it came to such a chaotic and ominous end. Did twenty years of conflict change America more than it did Afghanistan? Plus, a cooking lesson from the food guru Jacques Pépin, who teaches David Remnick a thing or two about crêpes; and Klancy Miller, the author of “Cooking Solo,” talks with Helen Rosner. (50”)
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/tnyradiohour/episodes/lesson-jacques-pepin-and-dexter-filkins-end-forever-war

“Does a moderate Taliban exist?, Could the Islamic world reign in the Taliban?, plus fundamental freedoms and COVID-19’”
THE RELIGION AND ETHICS REPORT - ABC RN (Radio National)
The Taliban has sealed control of Afghanistan, which raises the obvious question — will it again impose its harsh religious law on the people? We hear from Mr Sher Jan Ahmadzai, Afghan American and Director at the centre for Afghanistan Studies at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.  Then we consider how the Islamic world might be able to reign in a Taliban regime in Afghanistan. Could moderate Muslim leaders around the world use their power to tame the extremists? Professor Samina Yasmeen is the Director of the Centre for Muslim States and Societies at the University of Western Australia, she explains more.
Eighteen months after the emergence of COVID-19, millions of Australians are back in punitive lockdown. Professor Samuel Moyn, one of the world’s leading human rights scholars examines the fundamental freedoms we’ve sacrificed in our response to COVID-19.  (29”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/religionandethicsreport/a-moderate-taliban-taliban-wider-muslim-world,-covid19-rights/13492478

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW UPDATED 10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com and w5yi.com!