[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 439

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

(Ed. Note:  The episode of “Only a Game” below is especially worth a listen — even if you hate sports..)

“OAG's Most Memorable: Barkley's Friendship, Syracuse 8, The Carewlands And More”
ONLY A GAME - NPR and WBUR Boston
An award-winning weekly sports magazine for the serious sports fan and the steadfast sports avoider. This week we're bringing back some of our most memorable, most requested stories. Reporter Shirley Wang tells the story of her father, Lin Wang, and his friendship with NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley. Also, the Syracuse 8 — a group of nine Syracuse football players who boycotted the 1970 season to protest racial discrimination. Plus, the story behind a heart transplant between pro athletes. And who could forget Zippy Chippy, the racehorse (retired to a horse farm near me in Greenfield NY) who never won a race. (49”)
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510052/only-a-game (scroll down to September 18, 2021)

“The Temperance Movement”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the momentum behind teetotalism in 19th Century Britain, when calls for moderation gave way to complete abstinence in pursuit of a better life. Although arguments for temperance had been made throughout the British Isles beforehand, the story of the organised movement in Britain is often said to have started in 1832 in Preston, when Joseph Livesey and seven others gave a pledge to abstain. The movement grew quickly, with Temperance Halls appearing as new social centres in towns in place of pubs, and political parties being drawn into taking sides either to support abstinence or impose it or reject it. The image above, which appeared in The Teetotal Progressionist in 1852, is an example of the way in which images contained many points of temperance teaching, and is © Copyright Livesey Collection at the University of Central Lancashire. With Annemarie McAllister Senior Research Fellow in History at the University of Central Lancashire; James Kneale Associate Professor in Geography at University College London; and nd David Beckingham Associate Professor in Cultural and Historical Geography at the University of Nottingham.  (52”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0013zl8

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW UPDATED 10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. W5YI.org and amazon.co.uk!