[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 442

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on the Path Forward for the Left”
THE NEW YORKER RADIO HOUR - NPR and WNYC New York Public Radio
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s political ascent was rapid and dramatic; she went from political anonymity, early in 2018, to questioning Nancy Pelosi’s leadership as Speaker soon after taking office. Now, with the Democratic Party’s razor-thin majorities in Congress in peril, the progressive agenda she backed has stalled. For The New Yorker’s first-ever digital-only issue, she talked with David Remnick about how to sustain a sense of hope when the political tides seem to flow against you. Plus, the music editor Sheldon Pearce shares some favorites from a very specific genre: posthumous rap albums. (52”)
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/tnyradiohour/episodes/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-path-forward-left-ep

“The future of U.S. democracy hangs in the balance as states battle over voting rightsl”
FRESH AIR - NPR and WHYY Philadelphia
Michael Waldman, president of the Brennan Center for Justice, says lawmakers in 27 states are considering hundreds of bills designed to limit voting or undermine the integrity of the election process. (41”)
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/17/1081428996/the-future-of-u-s-democracy-hangs-in-the-balance-as-states-battle-over-voting-ri

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW UPDATED 10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. W5YI.org, amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au !