[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 451

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Making Places”
THE URBANIST - Monocle 24
We explore the world of place-making, enjoy some street sounds in Uruguay and visit a transformed corner of London. John F Forester joins us to discuss his recent book, which tells the stories of the participatory planners driving change in their cities. Lucinda Elliott reports from the streets of the Uruguayan city of Mercedes, where a jazz festival is bringing music to its citizens’ front doors. Marcus Meijer of investment firm Mark joins Monocle’s Josh Fenhert to explore the Borough  Yards redevelopment in a quiet corner of the UK capital’s famous food market. (30”)
https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-urbanist/537/

“The First Radiolab”
RADIOLAB - NPR and WNYC New York Pulbic Radio
Jad Abumrad started Radiolab roughly 20 years ago. And now he is stepping aside from hosting and producing the show to replenish, to think, to rock in his chair and be with his kids and wife, and maybe make some music. The news has been all over twitter and there’s a letter from Jad and our hosts Latif and Lulu on the website. But in this episode, Jad talks through his decision to leave and the future of the show with Lulu and Latif. And then, as a parting gift, we play him the very first episode of Radiolab (“The Radio Lab” as he called it then). He tells us about biking the CDs over the Brooklyn bridge just before the show was supposed to air, reading the news and weather between segments, and then we just sit back together and listen to where it all began.” (89”)
https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/articles/first-radiolab

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW UPDATED 10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. W5YI.org, amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au !