[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 465

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

I personally curate this now resuming series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“John Donne”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss Donne (1573-1631), known now as one of England’s finest poets of love and notable in his own time as an astonishing preacher. He was born a Catholic in a Protestant country and, when he married Anne More without her father's knowledge, Donne lost his job in the government circle and fell into a poverty that only ended once he became a priest in the Church of England. As Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral, his sermons were celebrated, perhaps none more than his final one in 1631 when he was plainly in his dying days, as if preaching at his own funeral.
With Mary Ann Lund
Associate Professor in Renaissance English Literature at the University of Leicester
Sue Wiseman
Professor of Seventeenth Century Literature at Birkbeck, University of London
And Hugh Adlington
Professor of English Literature at the University of Birmingham  (52”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001gx0k

“The Byrds/Natalie Merchant/Fleetwood Mac/Billy Bragg/Harry Nilsson”
NASHVILLE BABYLON - RNZ National
The very best in Americana, alt country and blues music, hosted by Mark Rogers.On this week's show Mark has music from the Byrds and Natalie Merchant, previews Billy Bragg's forthcoming New Zealand tour, spins a favourite from Fleetwood Mac and plays a Harry Nilsson take on an all time classic.  (56”)
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/nashville-babylon/audio/2018873606/nashville-babylon-14-january-2023

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.