[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 466

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

I personally curate this series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But my interests are eclectic and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

“Peter Gabriel and Monique Clare”
THE MUSIC SHOW - ABC RN (Radio National)
- Before WOMADelaide, there was WOMAD, a “financially disastrous, creatively spectacular” festival which started in England before taking on the world. Peter Gabriel, who founded the original festival in 1982  talks about its genesis, its future, and how to bring justice to the world of “World” music.
- Brisbane musician Monique Clare’s songs are composed with voice and cello, filled out with string and brass arrangements, and tackle trauma head on. Her debut album Sight follows a solo EP and years of touring with folk trio The Maes and performing with artists like Kate Miller-Heidke. Monique tells Andrew about growing up with classical music (including a pipe organist father) and why she’s drawn to lyrics that are at odds with the sound of the music. (60”)

CAPSULE REVIEW
THE MUSIC SHOW - ABC RN (Radio National)
This is a program that, frankly, that  I wish I would listen to more often than I do.  Andrew Ford — who will be on leave for the first half of 2023 — and Robbie Buck are musicologists with expansive, even polymath, eclectic tastes in music and musicians.  This is truly a unique program that dives deep and both hosts are expert at drawing out their subjects, whether a musical form or a composer or performer.  The interviews and musical selections are accessible for all audiences and really increase one’s appreciation for musical forms that may not be one’s first choice for listening.  Highly recommended!

“Frank Bongiorno's 'Dreamers and Schemers'”
LATE NIGHT LIVE WITH PHILLIP ADAMS - ABC RN (Radio National)
For the Australia Day national holiday historian and author Professor Frank Bongiorno takes a colorful ride through Australia’s political evolution, including archival audio excerpts from the 1930s onwards.
Guest: Professor Frank Bongiorno, historian at the ANU and President of the Australian Historical Association. (60”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/late-night-live-frank-bongiorno-political-history/101893898

— —

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.