[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 474

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

“Butterfly Effect; Smartphones May Be our Greatest Tool for Outdoor and Indoor Navigation”
SPARK - CBC Radio One
GPS and its kindred Global Navigation Satellite Systems has taken over from the traditional compass.  From the compass to positioning satellites orbiting earth, wayfinding tools have largely focused on helping us find our way through the outdoor world, but indoor navigation technology has also come a long way in its short history.  Use of the Global Positioning System (GPS) and more broadly, the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS), for civilian navigation largely began in 2000. Once people saw how this technology could give them a one or two-metre accurate position when they were outdoors, it started creating a demand for similar services indoors. (54”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/spark/smartphones-may-be-our-greatest-tool-for-outdoor-and-indoor-navigation-1.6751354

“The Human Drive to Connect – and Divide”
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC RN (Radio National)
It's human nature to form groups — families, friends, online communities. We love to be surrounded by people similar to us.
But that can also make us discriminatory and defensive. And social media makes that instinct worse.  In this episode, we look at how our brains evolved to connect and divide, and what that means for the problems we face in our modern world.
Guest: Dr Mark Williams, Cognitive neuroscientist and Author, "The Connected Species: How the Evolution of the Human Brain Can Save the World"  (29”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-human-drive-to-connect-and-divide/102206842

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.