[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 475

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

“Losing My Religion”
BEYOND BELIEF - BBC Radio 4
Is Humanism a religion?  Aleem Maqbool speaks with former Blue Peter presenter and author, Janet Ellis, about the path that led her to adopt Humanism.  This sparks a discussion on the nature of Humanism and the various rituals and beliefs associated with it.  Joining Aleem for the discussion are:  Professor Alice Roberts - Vice President of Humanist UK and author of 'The Little Books of Humanism' and 'The Little Book of Humanist Funerals'; Theo Hobson - Theologian and author of 'God Created Humanism: the Christian Basis of Secular Values';  Lola Tinubu - Co-founder of the Association of Black Humanists in London.  (28”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001l94s

[Ed. Note:  I came across the program below totally by accident. If, like me, you enjoy a wide variety of musical styles and genres and a deeper dive into their derivations and inspirations, you will enjoy this series.  Give it some time, though.  To my ears, it started slowly and picked up interest as it went on.  It’s quite a unique program not heard on American radio in my experience.]

ADD TO PLAYLIST - BBC Radio 4
Bassoon player Amy Harman and composer Gavin Higgins join Cerys Matthews and Jeffrey Boakye for the opening episode of the new series of the Prix Italia and Prix Europa award-winning music programme.  Starting from scratch, the new adventure takes us from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee via the Aegean Sea to a hand-rubbing fado song from Lisbon.
Presented, with music direction, by Cerys Matthews and Jeffrey Boakye.
The five tracks in this week's playlist:
Mule Skinner Blues (Blue Yodel No 8) by Dolly Parton
Mes Sto Aigaiou Ta Nisia by Glykeria
Casta Diva by Bellini, sung by Maria Callas
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi by the Noordpool Orchestra
Vai de Roda by Duarte
Other music in this episode:
The Poor People of Paris by Winifred Atwell
Blue Yodel No 8 by Jimmie Rodgers
Labor Blues by Tom Dickson
El Condor Pasa by Simon & Garfunkel
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi by Radiohead
Inner City Life by Goldie
Funky Mule by Ike Turner
Last Nite by The Strokes
(42”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mm1c

“Interviewing Andrew Tate; CNN Boss Terminated”
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
Last week the BBC's Lucy Williamson conducted an interview with Andrew Tate, his first with a major TV broadcaster since being released into house arrest from police custody in Romania in April. She describes how she approached it and what has happened since it aired. Also in the programme, the boss of CNN is reported to have been ousted, and David Aaronovitch on life after The Times.  Guests: Lucy Williamson, BBC reporter; David Aaronovitch, journalist; Brian Stelter, former CNN host; Brooke Gladstone, host of WNYC’s 'On the Media’. (28”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mlnz

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.