[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 476

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

[Ed. Note:  Many listeners and critics, for years, have called BBC Radio 4 the best radio station in the world.  This small sample from yesterday (Sunday) afternoon GMT, as well as Issue 475 of this newsletter, give examples of the breadth of programming the station presents on a daily basis. BBC Radio 4 occupies one of the presets on my Internet WiFi radio and I suggest you might do the same.]

“June 11, 2023 Edition”
THE WORLD THIS WEEKEND - BBC Radio 4
This long-form newscast and analysis program alternates on Sundays only with the weekday “The World at One”.  This June 11 edition offered an interesting juxtaposition and comparison between the current circumstances of Boris Johnson and Donald Trump.  It is worth a listen.  (30”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mszt

"Learning to Eat Part 1 – Do Kids Need Special Food?
THE FOOD PROGRAMME - BBC Radio 4
Sheila Dillon explores how food habits are formed in the early years, and how parents and nurseries are coping with a food environment full of unhealthy ultra-processed food. (29”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mst8

“Series 29; Episode 2 of 6”
THE UNBELIEVABLE TRUTH - BBC Radio 4
David Mitchell hosts the panel game in which four comedians are encouraged to tell lies and compete against one another to see how many items of truth they’re able to smuggle past their opponents. Lou Sanders, Phil Wang, Neil Delamere, and Kerry Godliman are the panellists obliged to talk with deliberate inaccuracy on subjects as varied as beauty, tea, giraffes and dancing.(28”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001mlkc

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.