[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 480

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

“Why Do We Experience Vertigo?”
CROWDSCIENCE - BBC World Service
Anand Jagatia finds out that it’s not just the giddy sensation we feel when we’re at the top of a mountain. Vertigo is also a physical illness that can be triggered by a range of disorders. He talks to leading experts on balance to learn what causes the condition, discovers how virtual reality can help people with a phobia of being in high places and volunteers to be turned upside down to experience what it feels like to be treated for vertigo.  (34”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct4y47

“Gone Viral”
RADIOLAB - WNYC New York Public Radio
First, an evolutionary nightmare inside a single Covid patient. Then, the story of an ancient showdown between fungus and mammals that started when dinosaurs disappeared from the earth. Back then, the battle swung in our favor (spoiler alert!) and we’ve been hanging onto that win ever since. But one scientist suggests that the rise of this new infectious fungus indicates our edge is slipping, degree by increasing degree. (59”)
https://radiolab.org/podcast/gone-viral

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.