[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 486

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the worthy objectives of the medium.  Besides, in my opinion, most of the best radio programs produced anywhere come from public — as opposed to commercial — radio.  (That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!)

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

“An Hour with Charlie Chaplin”
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC RN (Radio National)
An hour revisiting the life of Charlie Chaplin with biographer Scott Eyman, author of "Charlie Chaplin vs. America: When Art, Sex and Politics Collided." At the height of his career, Charlie Chaplin was the most famous man in the world, but he was not impervious to the Red Scare. Eyman revisits the life of Charlie Chaplin and how he became a victim of a particular brand of American paranoia.  (50”)
https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/latenightlive/late-night-live-charlie-chaplin/102959936

“We the People are Barbados”
THE DOCUMENTARY - BBC World Service
In September 2020, Barbados announced its decision to become a republic, removing the British monarchy as head of state. November 30th, 2021 marked not only the 57th anniversary of the nation’s independence but a new beginning as a republic. Award-winning author Candice Brathwaite, explores Barbados’ transition to a republic two years after the official declaration. Through interviews with poet laureate Esther Phillips, historian Dr Pedro Welch, artist Oneka Small, journalist Krystal-Penny Bowen and socio-economics expert Professor Don Marshall, she gains insights into the Island’s evolving identity.  (32”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gtw1dw

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION available in December from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet, W5YI.com.  A few copies of 10th Edition are still available.