[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 487

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the worthy objectives of the medium.  Besides, in my opinion, most of the best radio programs produced anywhere come from public — as opposed to commercial — radio.  (That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!)

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

From time to time, I’m going to depart a bit from the podcast theme to shine a light on some great programs you have to listen to live because they’re not available on podcast.  That’s what this 487th iteration of Podding Along is about.

__ __

If you like a wide variety of music, you must sit yourself in front of your wifi or shortwave radio (or carry your portable radio/smart phone with you) tuned to RNZ National or RNZ Pacific for all or much of the 10 consecutive hours these programs are aired.

“MUSIC 101”
Saturday 0100 - 0500 GMT/UTC  (after the news and weather)
The program’s website says, "Music interviews, live performances, behind the scenes, industry issues, profiles, back catalogue, undiscovered, greatest hits, tall tales and true... all from a New Zealand/Aotearoa perspective.”  The presenter is Charlotte Ryan, who besides being an award winning broadcaster, has managed bands, run her own publicity company, worked for music festivals, and international and local touring artists.  This delightful weekly program is RNZ’s flagship contemporary music show.
(240”)
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/music101

"NASHVILLE BABYLON"
Saturday 0500 - 0600 GMT/UTC (after the news and weather)
This is a unique program — one hour long —  of alt country and blues music commonly classified as Americana and ably presented by Mark Rogers.  Rogers is one of the co-founders of Loose Music, one of Europe's premier indie music labels, an imprint responsible for releases from the likes of the Handsome Family, the Felice Brothers and Neko Case. In addition he has worked with artists such as Emmylou Harris, Joan Baez and Jackson Browne and has helped promote New Zealand tours from Kitty, Daisy & Lewis, CW Stoneking and Pokey LaFarge.  (60”)
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/nashville-babylpn

“SATURDAY NIGHT”
Saturday 0600 - 1100 GMT/UTC (after the news and weather)
Phil O’Brien hosts hands down the best record request program on the planet.  Phil plays everything with a friendly — to all kinds of music and listeners — attitude and a minimum of chat.  Listeners outside NZ can make requests and dedications as well as listeners in NZ, but they have to be made during the week prior to allow for program preparation.  This is a delightful five hours even if it airs in the sleeping hours for east coast NA listeners.  The program’s website has a playlist so you can follow along. (300”)
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/saturdaynight

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION available in December from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet, W5YI.com.  A few copies of 10th Edition are still available.