[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 493

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

THE CORRESPONDENTS LOOK AHEAD TO 2024 - BBC World Service
Nuala McGovern asks some of the BBC's top correspondents from around the world to gaze into their crystal balls and predict what 2024 might have in store. 2023 has been dominated by the conflicts in Ukraine and Israel and Gaza and a global cost of living crisis. Next year will see nearly half of the world’s population going to the polls - 40 elections are scheduled to take place next year, in countries including the USA, UK, South Africa, India, Russia and Pakistan. How will the results of some of those elections shift the geopolitical tectonic plates - and will we see any resolution to those conflicts? Big questions, but luckily we have some of the BBC's best minds on hand to provide plenty of answers. Contributors: Yogita Limaye, BBC South Asia and Afghanistan Correspondent Lyse Doucet, BBC Chief International Correspondent Sarah Smith, BBC North America Editor Rupert Wingfield-Hayes, BBC Asia Correspondent Mayeni Jones, BBC West Africa Correspondent Steve Rosenberg, BBC Russia Editor.   (49”)
https://www.bbc.co <https://www.bbc.co/>.uk/sounds/play/w3ct68vg

“The Best of 2023”
THE URBANIST - Monocle Radio
With an influential audience of city mayors, urban planners and architects, this is Monocle’s guide to making better cities, be it new technology, state-of-the-art subways or compact apartments.  Monocle’s editor in chief, Andrew Tuck, looks back at some of his favorite interviews and reports from 2023 on ‘The Urbanist’. (29”)
https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-urbanist/637

— —

Happy New Year!
A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION available in mid-January from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet, W5YI.com. Order now! A few copies of 10th Edition are still available.