[IRCA] Re: Drake R8B Synchronous Detector

[IRCA] Re: Drake R8B Synchronous Detector

We're supposed to have an Ice Storm here this weekend so perhaps I'll get a chance to give your ideas a try.
Thanks for the reply.

Bert

Bert, Drake is excellent for customer service & very fast. I would highly recommend that you call or Email Drake for service number.
I have not seen any trouble with Drake's sync detector but I believe it could happen. Test your sync by tuning the proper WWV freq. for the time of day you are doing the test. Use the 4 kHz am filter and turn on the sync. Then switch between AM LSB & AM USB sync. The circuit should lock & be zero beat, having only a slight audio change as you hit each side band. Also, tune the Canadian Time Freq & proceed the same way. The Canadian Time FREQ's are in the AM mode but favor the USB. If you could Email me some of your sync symptoms I'll respond in more detail. There is a rather simple sync alignment point inside the receiver but I don't encourage that anyone excepting a trained Bench Person fiddle with that adjustment. Drake will turn your receiver around in a day or two in my experience.

73 John T. Wagner

PS I think you have the best SWL rig available with the R8B. They are really known for being trouble free.