Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] DKAZ Antenna

At 12:40 21-08-15, you wrote:
Nick:  See CAPS below

Mark Durenberger

-----Original Message----- From: Nick Hall-Patch

I haven't had experience with two D-Kaz Mark, but do I gather then that you haven't seen evidence of null steering with the DKaz alone? I HAVEN'T SEEN EVIDENCE OF STEERING, JUST DEPTH ADJUSTMENT (PRESUMABLY INCLUDING RE-SHAPING OF SIDE-LOBES).

I'm not sure my use of "null steering" is entirely the correct term, even for the Flag. The direction for minimum signal response moves with adjustment of the termination (especially for vertical polarization), but the depth of the null is not be as great as the best null obtained directly off the back of the antenna.

I had observed similar (and <900 ohms) termination values for Portland on 1190 and Seattle on 1000, one 50 degrees off the back of the antenna, one 30 degrees, but realize that although Portland on 620 and and Seattle on 710 also had similar values of termination, that value was higher. And to throw it all out, Portland area on
1640 and Seattle on 1680  had different values of termination altogether.

Now I think of it however, doesn't the fact that 1640 and 1680 had different termination resistances for best nulls show a type of "null steering" (or ?). In both cases, the null was around -25dB, and the difference in termination resistance was a couple of hundred ohms. I had no reference right off the back of the antenna at those frequencies, but I assume that both values of termination resistance couldn't have each been appropriate for the deepest null off the back of the antenna.

I'll look into that further vacation time.

best wishes,

Nick