[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, February 18-24, 2019

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT!

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna
only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S
inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S;
Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75
with E-W longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily
all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also
VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which
may be found in several archives
without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with
extensive news from many other individuals and
publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August
2011 are archived in this forum with open
access:Â
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page75
[over 339,000 views! as of February 24, 2019]

** U S A. 620, Feb 23 at 0506 UT, unusually something in Spanish:
certainly not kaput XEBU Chihuahua2, so XENK in EdoMex or something
more exotic? Not a single US or Canadian 620 is listed in the NRC AM
Log as SS, altho a few are ETHnic. Immediately hear an ID as ``Radio
Oasis``, repeating phone number 469-397-0620, and plugging some event
domingo a las 11 de la maÃana, ``vÃngase`` to an address on Harry
Hines Blvd. (!) That means this is Dallas, where HH is a major artery
I have traversed, and ergo this is KEXB, until now known only as
``Experts in Business`` in English (ex-KWFT, 620 hijacked from Wichita
Falls). Also has a het from 621, no doubt CANARY ISLANDS. KEXB websked
confirms the program 7 days a week at 11 pm-5 am CT is indeed Radio
Oasis, but no further info about it; unsure if it`s religious. = 05-11
UT now, 04-10 UT once DST be imposed. That means KEXB is now exactly
25% Spanish (unless there be even more I haven`t noticed), so worthy
of an SS designation among its formats; U4 5/4.5 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 660, Feb 19 at 1428 UT, plugs for `Adventures in Odyssey`
program, access 660-KCRO via Alexa, ``Omaha`s Christian Talk``, temp
minus 2. 1 kW on E-W longwire from the north, but dominant instead of
KSKY 20 kW from the south. At this break anyway, did not hear any
reference to FM translator or the slogan tied to that, as in NRC AM
Log, ``660-AM 106.5 The Word``. Must still be arriving by skywave, as
on full daytime groundwave, KCRO is barely audible under KSKY.

Paul Walker explains why I did not hear them mentioning 106.5 translator:
``They are moving the fm translator on 106.5 for KCRO to 106.7 in Lincoln
as K294DJ where itâll still rebroadcast KCRO`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, Feb 20 at 0027 UT, I`m seeking the new 50 kW daytimer
in Limon CO, KCRN, ex-KLIM, which Paul Walker in Laramie reported
finally activating CP a few days ago at quarter-power for starters.
Official FCC sunset for Feb is 0030 UT, so this should be my best
chance for it, after the 10 kW Okie KETU is off; and it`s close to a
right angle from KMOX for easy nulling. However, KCRN pattern is broad
to the west, null to the east; and there is another 1120 normally
audible here around SR/SS, KTXW Manor TX (Austin).

In fact that`s what I mainly hear with KMOX nulled, ``Austin`s
Christian talk, The Bridge`` --- alluding to the one that`s batty?? By
0029 underneath I hear a song, maybe hymn, so quickly compare on same
DX-398 to 1060 where there is KRCN Longmont (Denver), 50 kW daytimer,
another Catholic station, but will they really be simulcasting? Could
be // in brief bit. And nothing more from it after 0030.

KCRN is also designed to reach Denver past sparsely-populated eastern
CO plains. I will have an even worse chance at KCRN sunrise *1345 vs
KETU, KMOX et al. In March, KRCN span will be 1315-0100 UT (which of
course must stay the same UT after DST start already March 10). KRCN &
KCRN are in fact sibling stations, as the related calls imply, both
licensed to Catholic Radio Network --- so why do they need two 50 kW
Denver-market stations?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1120, Feb 21 at 0008 UT, I`m trying again for definite
reception of KCRN, Limon CO now with 50 kW day power. On the DX-398,
KMOX is nulled and hearing English religious talk, but that could be
Austin. Simulmonitoring on R-75 with E-W longwire on 1060, I get //
audio just a reverb apart, i.e. KRCN Longmont CO, the sibling Catholic
Radio Network station. KRCN is also 50 kW day power but unlike KCRN
may continue at night with 111 or 105 watts, but none of that matters
since it also has a puny 92.1 FM translator. Paul Walker says 1120
also has a new 102.3 translator in Black Forest, which is near
Colorado Springs. 1120 should be putting equally bigsig into Denver
and CS, less so Pueblo further south.

Not enough 11520 signal to // WEWN. At 0013, 1120 fades in better when
I can tell it`s a Catholic Radio fundraiser, phone 888-447-2425 --- so
KCRN for sure, way out of their broad major lobe westward, here to the
SE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. This from Greg Buchwald via FB --- Traveling to WION, Ionia,
MI tomorrow to do a bunch of PM. After midnight EST (early Sunday
morning [0500 UT]), we will be doing testing at full power [4.7 kW],
omni. Work includes IPM reduction and sweeping each tower so that I
can complete the design and construction of a non-resonant power
divider. The current resonant tank circuit divider exhibits 4dB of
sideband tilt that I currently correct using the cquam exciter. That
is, of course, not ideal and we'll be broadbanding that array. WION
1430 kHz. We will complete the work with a few highly separated
musical selections. DX reports appreciated! (via Todd Skaine, MN, Feb
22, IRCA at HCDX via DXLD)

** U S A. 1430, Feb 24 at 0500 UT, short-notice but widely-publicized
DX test prompted by engineering work at WION, Ionia MI is supposed to
start now but nothing noted in first biminute, just huge pileup of
roughly equal signals, nothing readable; length of test unknown, but I
decide to recheck later:

At 0558 UT now I hear a 1 kHz tone; or could it be a JBA TA carrier?
Rather too late for Djibouti, Ukraine is inactive; leaving only some
very/low powers in UK, Greece and Italy. I don`t have a chance to
detect whether it`s on 1431 only as in DX, or 1431 & 1429 as in
modulation from a domestic. I keep listening intently for almost the
next hour on the DX-398 aimed NE/SW, whence the tone peaks as if from
WION. At 0600 there is a pause and then a lower-pitched tone, one half
kHz, or 440? 0605 another tone audible, and 0608 peak stronger, stops
about 0613. If there had been a Morse code ID during this span,
probably could have copied it. Todd Skaine says WION runs a Morse code
ID at hourtop even during normal programming. Otherwise: occasionally
rising slightly above the din is TexMexmx, or maybe a real Mexican
like at 0627. At 0634, ad for Schlotzky`s (?) restaurant in
Belleville, i.e. KZQZ St Louis as in following jingle --- that`s the
station I mainly expected to hear in the way of WION, altho KZQZ night
pattern is unfavorable thisaway. No more tones heard until 0650. But
what I heard earlier correlates with other DX monitors (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Ken Zichi, Williamston MI, replies on the WOR iog to my report:

WION modulation adjustment / test --- It sounds to me like you got it,
Glenn. Your description matches what I heard, and what was verified by
Jim Carlisle (The owner / GM / head honcho at WION) in some private
text messages between us during the test.

The audio tones didn't start until almost 0550 UT, and even here in MI
the channel was a huge jumblemush of signals. During the test there
was no 'regular programming' or code ID, and the 'normal' code ID is
for the FM translator not WION itself (They should be amending that
soon as they are about to add a second FM translator shortly). They
ALSO ran some tones in LSB and then USB (with a carrier and the stereo
pilot on, and off) so you might have gotten 'fooled' into thinking it
was a DX carrier since it would have only appeared on one side of
the carrier if you were looking!

I'm working on Jim to get him to do a 'real' DX test one of these
days, with code and actual 'sweep tones' (there weren't any during
this despite the advance publicity implying there would be) and maybe
some other easily identifiable 'elements'. If I'm successful, I'll try
to give more notice to the DX community. I think he was impressed at
the interest this generated if I read between the lines correctly.
That might bode well! 73  //Ken``

** U S A. 1480, Feb 20 at 2218 UT on caradio, already hearing
Vietnamese from presumed KBXD Dallas QRMing closer KQAM Wichita
English talker. At 2229-2230+ Vietnamese talk now on DX-398, same slow
SAH between them as before; 2255 during Viet mentions ``CÃmara de
Diputados``, i.e. Spanish name about the Mexican House of Reps!; 2257
break for legal English ID as ``KBXD, 1480-AM, Dallas`` and back to
VV.

Tim Hendel in AL had been trying to confirm via webcast, KBXD in
Vietnamese instead of ngÆái TÃy Ban Nha (espaÃol), but was hearing
Banda Trece programming. I too found a webcast attributed to KBXD but
with Banda Trece, so not really what was on the 1480 air! Tim agrees
this was probably the case. Meanwhile, I was wondering if the Viet I
had been hearing could have been from KLVL Houston market, which has
had Vietnamese in past, mainly Spanish now? But the bigsig vs KQAM has
been typical of KBXD, whatever the programming language.

2359 recheck, Vietnamese still audible in mix on 1480. Feb official
SR/SS times are 1315/0015 UT; March: 1245/0030. At night KBXD must cut
from 50 to 1.9 kW on a similar pattern with major lobe to NW, but a
notch NNW toward us. We are still wondering if KBXD now be 100%
Vietnamese, or what? Someones in The Metroplex could easily check this
out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1460, 1480, 1600, Feb 23 at 1330 UT, confirming these three
Metroplex stations are all in different Vietnamese, i.e. KCLE
(weakest), KBXD, KRVA. How big an audience is there there? Google
search turns up 85,000 in Dallas-Fort Worth, fourth place metro after
LA, San Josà and Houston. Not clear how many be first-generation with
primary language Vietnamese. At 1332, 1600 is playing a choral anthem:
I bet it`s RVN, defunct (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Until the next, Best of DX and 73 de Glenn

--- End Message ---