[IRCA] Beverage antenna

As some of you know, I had to raise my Eastern beverage a couple years
back, when they took the old fence out. I raised it for the first 450
feet. After that the fence is still there and it runs back on the fence.
The first 450 feet runs up to 15-16 feet, so the farm equipment can
drive under it through the gate. It was not my choice, but that was all
I could do if I wanted to keep the beverage. The directivity of the
beverage has been comprimised alright, but it still works.
  Everything I have heard or read is there are not supposed to be any
sharp vertical leads, even down to the ends. Well this evening I tried a
bit of changing the end to the matching transformer. I had it slowly
sloped down to the about 2 feet off the ground. I took the end loose
while monitoring the signal by rebroadcasting the R8 so I could listen
outside on a portable. I went on a couple frequencies like 1100 and then
740. With the antenna slowly sloping down I got basically KFAX SF on
1100 off the Eastern beverage which is South of me. Not good. I then
moved the last 10-15 feet of the wire higher on a branch bringing the
wire straight to the tree without any sloping and then a straight
downlead to the matching transformer box. I suddenly got about 50% of
Grand Junction CO that wasn't there before. So I thought, Interesting. I
went returned the R8 to 740 and had a fairly strong KCBS, also South of
me. Also not good.  I then moved the antenna back up to the branch for
the second time, and brought the wire straight down as I did before,
KCBS was gone leaving noise. Tonight later I hear a weak KCBS and CBX.
   The beverage worked much better at 4 feet off the ground on the old
fencing, but unfortunately that is history now. But I am trying to "Have
my cake again and eat it too" sort of thing. But I was amazed that
changing the last few feet of the wire made such a difference.  I could
always extend the coax and move the matching transformer up higher
straight in and use a bit longer wire for the grounding going down
vertically. I have no idea how that would work. But at least in this
case the slanting down lead does not help the directivity of the
beverage.  Any comments?  Thanks.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin