Re: [IRCA] Ground radials was New receiver ground

Re: [IRCA] Ground radials was New receiver ground

> I have used ground radials, over 120 of them for my vertical. They are
> 5-8 feet long and lay on top of the ground. They do work, The radials
> can have a directional pattern too. I still like burying my ground
> system though. Also under the same tree I have 8-10 five foot ground
> rods (copper pipe) buried in a circle and connected with #12 bare solid
> copper wire. I installed that for the K9AY I had for a couple seasons.
> Now I use it for the WNW EWE.

One thing used for grounds in broadcast is copper screening.  For
receive-only, some lengths of copper window screening or even chicken wire
will work.  For portable work, a couple of 25' rolls of chicken wire may
even work better than ground rods.  Certainly easier to set up.  When I get
some time, I'll see how it works.

Many years ago, QST had an article on a three element vertical antenna array
for 40 meters.  By putting the radials out in a fan shape in the desired
direction, it improved the pattern.

Vertical antennas usually work better with radials equal in length to the
tower height.  A quarter wavelength at the operating frequency is also
adequate in the case of a tall tower, not that it applies for most of us.

Next time I'm at Home Depot or Lowe's, I'll grab some screen or chicken
wire.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI