[IRCA] IBOC 8- SECOND DELAY

KPLU-88.5 Tacoma has a repeater near Seattle on 88.1 and the
repeater's audio is 8 seconds ahead of the mother signal  presumably
because 88.5 is IBOC. I have seen many comments relating to the
limited range of the IBOC signal on AM but I don't recall seeing
anyone comment on what must happen with an IBOC station as you
approach its fringe area. Does the audio pop back and forth between
the digital and analog signals as you alternate between them?
Obviously I am referring to a potential situation while driving. I
would think this would make maintaining continuity very challenging...

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop