Re: [IRCA] IRCA Digest, Vol 70, Issue 76

Re: [IRCA] IRCA Digest, Vol 70, Issue 76

The desert stations don't get out like they used to. I used to hear 970,
1140, 1270 regularly. Now I only hear 1140. 970 is lost to IBOC from KFWB.
1270 moved COL and I only hear Tijuana now. Did they move transmitter too?
920 isn't heard during the daytime either.

The GYs are tough. I still haven't heard 1400, my closest unheard GY. I
barely caught bits and pieces of KGAM a couple times in 2008 but no verie
from them. KWXY verified in 2006 and only heard that one time. KMET is
dominant here with a fair signal.

Martin

>Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:32:20 -0800
>From: Mike Sanburn <mikesanburn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [IRCA] Palm Springs radio update

>I remember back in 2004 when Pat Martin, Bob Wien, and I did a Palm Springs
restaurant and radio station >run...The art-deco studio for KWXY (Cathedral
city) was one of the nicest that I've seen, with the tower right >on site as
well. 'Seems right around that time KWXY 1340 was switching over to
different call sign. 'Glad they >are back where they belong. It takes a bit
of trying and some just-right CX to hear the desert area >graveyarders
(1340, 1400, and 1450) here in the L.A. area. I verified KWXY am back in
1991. I assume that they >are still DXer friendly....Heck, maybe Palm
Springs would be perfect for a radio club convention someday, hi. >The
station on 1490 in Banning (KMET these days) is MUCH easier to hear at the
home qth. Sometimes even the >more regional channels (920, 1140, etc...)
F'get about it.....Back around 1992, then KDES 920 did a DX test >and it got
out well. Fun town to go picture taking!!!  73 Mike  KG6LJU