EQUIPMENT: MFJ-1026

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

The MFJ-1026 Deluxe Noise Canceling Signal Enhancer, which hit the
market in the past few months has generated a lot of interest in the
Medium Wave DX community.  With a few modifications this unit performs
very well as a MW Phasing Unit.

A number of DXers have written to MFJ attempting to convince them that
they should offer a unit "off the shelf" that can be used by Medium Wave
DXers as a Phasing Unit.  I really think you need to sit down and give
a bit of thought to this and ask yourself a question - just how much
worldwide demand would there be for a unit like this?  Would there be
enough demand that MFJ could make a reasonable profit from such a
unit?  My opinion is no.  If the current unit could be modified so it
would satisfactorily work from longwave on up that might be one thing.
But to offer a unit that would work on LW/MW only would probably not be
cost effective.

The modifications documented by Mark Connelly are very easy to do if
you have any technical ability at all.  The entire process, including
before and after testing can be done in 2 hours or less.  I have done
two so far with no problems.  And, they work just great!

If you do not feel you can do these mods yourself, I will be happy to do
them for you for US $20.00 plus shipping to you.  If anyone is interested
in this, get in touch with me.  I would suggest that if you order one of
these units, and want me to do the mods that you have the unit shipped
directly to me.  Unless I get overwhelmed with requests it shouldn't
take more than a couple of days to get these done and shipped on to you.

Although I did not call everyone it would seem that the best available
price on these is from :

        R & L Electronics

        1315 Maple Ave

        Hamilton OH 45011  U S A

        1-800-221-7735

They were selling this unit for $115.00 plus shipping.  They were out of
stock a couple of weeks ago but may have more units on hand by now.

Before you ask I have no intention of making modified units available
for sale.  Will only perform the mods on units that you buy.  Before you
have a unit shipped to me, contact me first to make the arrangements.

For those who might not know me I have been a Radio Amateur and Medium
Wave DXer for over 40 years.  This month starts my 40th consecutive year
as a member of the National Radio Club and am also a member of Medium
Wave Circle.

73/DX

Al - K 4 G L U

        merriman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx