EQUIPMENT: MFJ-1026

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx
Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

Hallo everyone,
A lot is written about the MFJ-1026.
Due to a lot of local noise I am very interested in this device.
In the MFJ 1997 Ham Catalog I read about the MFJ-1026:
"Wipe out all types of noise: Wipe out...lightning crashes from distant
thunderstorms, severe power line noise from arcing transformers and
insulators, lamp dimmers, touch controlled lamps, electric drills, motors,
industrial processes, TV birdies......"
I am very interested to kow if somebody has experience with these types of
noise reduction with the MFJ-1026.
73,
Max
Hello MAX-

Although I do not have the MFJ-1026 unit, I've used the SEM QRM Eliminator
for several years now.I bought it for the same purpose you speak of- to
eliminate electrical interference locally generated.

This unit has worked very well, I have been able to phase out steady
electrical noise such as from lights or motors completely, resulting in
some DX I would have never otherwise heard.

There are three things that I've learned about the unit. First, depending
on the frequency, different "noise probe" antennas worked better. My basic
probe was a 10 foot piece of wire tacked to the baseboard. If this did not
work I would try my 65 foot long attic dipole. (My primary antenna was a
sloper).

Second, when using the attic antenna I sometimes could not only cancel the
noise but also get an increase in the primary signal's strength. I suppose
this is also due to a phasing affect, only in this case positive.

Third, you must have a primary signal tuned in, in order to cancel the
noise. Don't expect to turn the unit on and eliminate the noise.
Apparently, you need the seconf signal to phase against.

This one type of noise I had no luck with was lightning. I believe that
this is because the source is too far away, and actually coming from the
same direction as the signal you want to receive.

If you could phase out lightning, I'd say it's so close you should not be
listening now!

So the MFJ unit operates on the same priciples as the SEM, only uses
somewhat different technology. As I've read the reviews on this unit they
don't look at the noise canceling use, the only thing I can say is that if
you've got an electric interfence problem-  these phasing units are the
ticket to elimination of that pesky noise.

Dan