BULLETIN: TFW 35 3/3

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION.
or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

THE FOUR WINDS ON LINE  - Copyright 1997  Part  3
Year  2   Number 35  - Rome, 02  September  1997

IRAQ - RII's new external service frequency, 11785, continues to be very
erratic in schedule and modulation. Since I first discovered English
there on Aug 11, I've checked it virtually every day at least in the
2230-2300 period. Even if there is a fair signal, there has never been
enough modulation or clarity to understand as much as I did the first
day. Speculation about jamming should include this fact: Some of it may
be against RFA via KNLS in Korean during the 2200-2300 hour (Glenn
Hauser, OK, Aug 21 and WORLD OF RADIO 907/ SW/DX Report 97 10 08/21)

IRAQ - I have heard Baghdad with an English broadcast, after many months
of silence; BBC Monitoring had just observed that the only active SW
frequency was Kurdish on 6560. On August 11 when checking 11785 for RFA
via KNLS at 2236 I found instead a French broadcast concluding, claiming
to be on eleven thousand, eight hundred, four score and ten kHz--where
it was not to be heard, and at 2238 opening English giving "This is
Baghdad, Radio Iraq International" ID; hard to understand due to poor
modulation, adjacent splash from Brasil, low rumble possibly from
KNLS/RFA and traces of warble jamming against it. Then what sounded like
Cajun music, and a "News Commentary". Brief talks and musical interludes
would continue alternating. At 2248 gave schedule as "ten and a half
until 11 UTC" and mailing address. 2254, talk about Palestine, then
choral music. 2257 ID, His Excellency President Saddam Hussein about the
"9th anniversary of a great victory" in Lebanon and "end of our summary
of the news; thanks a lot for listening," ID. 2258 press review on same
subject; a bit of dead air and plug pulled at 2300:00 sharp without any
sign-off; I thought maybe they would stay on until 2309 to complete the
English half-hour. Rechecked the frequency Aug 12 at 0329 with there was
a good though fluttery signal, but very low muffled modulation, seeming
Arabic; gone at 0405 recheck. Then at 2151 Aug 12 Arabic music, not
//11290.0, the other new frequency which was previously on 11292 as
reported by Quaglieri et al; by 2230 11785 was an open carrier and 11290
was gone; 2332 11785 still fluttery carrier; still the same on Aug 13 at
0115 check; 0228 there was modulation with Arabic talk; then at 2217,
11785 was open carrier but it went off at 2228*. I include a brief
recording of the ID on WOR 906. Man and woman announcers took turns; he
was easier to understand but both had a heavy accent. It looks like the
revived English is already petering out, so will it be many more months
before we hear it again? That's why I have gone into so much detail in
reporting this rarity (Glenn Hauser, OK USA and WORLD OF RADIO 906
/SW/DX Report 97 10  08/21)

IRAQ - While RII remains on 11785 until about 2300, they're using 11787
for the next broadcast, heard Aug 27 as early as 0111 with Qur'an,
strong signal, but flutter, and low modulation; at 0301 seemed to go
into English but very low mod and hum; better at 0343 check definitely
English, talk about mathematics, modern Iraq, off at 0359* Apparently
trying to avoid another Arab on 11785 which has Qur'an from about 0230.
Except for turning on the transmitter, it's fair to say that Baghdad is
doing absolutely everything wrong in reviving its external service, both
technically and programmatically (Glenn Hauser, OK USA/SW/DX Report 97
Aug 28)

IRELAND [non]. Mail to Emerald Radio Productions continues to be
returned by the Dublin GPO. Here's why:  P.O. box mail without a
district [zone] number is automatically insufficiently addressed. The
numeral "1" following "Dublin" is just the thing to slice through all
the red tape and get mail safely to its destination. So use: Ememrald
Radio, P.O. Box 100, Dublin 1, Ireland (Finbarr O'Driscoll, WORLD OF
RADIO 907/SW/DX Report 97 10  08/21)

MADAGASCAR - Tsioka Vao is a new a private station broadcasting on 6075
KHz from 0300-1900 UTC in Malagasy and French with pop musical  program.
The Director name's is Detkou Dedonnais (a malagasy). TVA is off the AIR
at the moment with technical problem; they've told me they'll return to
the air again soon. ADDRESS: Radio TV - TSIOKA VAO P.O. Box 315 TANA
[Antananarivo, for sure - AQ] PHONE: 261 [2] 217 49 (Vaghgee-MAURITIUS /
NASWA LN Sept 97) (AQ = Al Quaglieri, NY USA)

MADAGASCAR - BBC has donated 6 Transmitters [SW, MW and FM] to
Madagascar to promote the English language to the young Malagasy and it
will be fixed in 6 provinces of the Island. (Vaghgee-MAURITIUS / NASWA
LN Sept 97)

MALI - [non]. Not only have the CRI Mali relay frequencies been missing
since July, but now CRI has eliminated them from its closing frequency
announcements as heard Aug 25 at 0456 on 9730; the 0000 broadcast is no
longer given, and at 0300 only 9690, which we know is Spain, is
mentioned. They even updated info on the 0400 broadcast, correctly
giving both 9730 and 9560, instead of the winter schedule of 0500 on
9560--Canada--they had been giving all summer. The big question is--what
has happened to the Mali relay facilities? (Glenn Hauser OK USA, WORLD
OF RADIO 908/SW/DX Report 97 Aug 28)

MAURITIUS - It has been announced that Government will permit private
television to operate aftter having received the approriate licence from
the Telecommunication Authority and may be that radio broadcasting will
follow the same step in the near future. (Vaghgee-MAURITIUS / NASWA LN
Sept 97)

MEXICO - XERTA, 4800.7, as of Aug 21 had not reappeared since Aug 15,
per daily checks at least around 0100, 0400 and 1200. Glad I have more
than two hours of the Aug 15 test on tape. Later that day, Hector Garcia
told me that they were stopping tests to work on a transmission line but
would be back as soon as possible (Glenn Hauser, OK/SW/DX Report 97 10
08/21)

MEXICO - Starting Aug 24, R. Huayacocotla, 2390 will be broadcasting
programs of XHUIB, R. Ibero, 100 watts on FM 90.9, which is audible only
next to the Universidad Iberoamericana Campus in Santa Fe, D.F. (Hector
Garcia B., Mexico, WORLD OF RADIO 907) Meanwhile, I have been hearing
XEJN again from *1200 sharp when its carrier slightly overlaps WWCR at
s/off. The two are within a few Hz of each other. Starts with
unmistakable Mexican NA making it clear this is not the Guatemalan. Hard
to copy here due to atmospheric and line noise levels, but Aug 19 I got
the word "Huayacocotla" at 1204; Aug 20 "Radio Huayacocotla" at 1202;
Aug 21 "XEJN, Radio Huayacocotla...500 watts" 1201. Reception is
improving word by word. After s/on goes into music around 1205. So far
not heard in the evening when the noise level is even worse. The B.S.
service of WWCR-4 currently uses 2390 at 0500-1200, but plans to expand
to 0300-1200 Sept. 1, perhaps from 0200 in the winter, depending on how
well the previous frequency 7435 holds up. We wonder how much and
exactly what times the R. Ibero programming will be on. The UIB has long
provided XEJN with a website full of info on its trouble with the
authorities and closedown in Oct 1995 (Glenn Hauser, OK/SW/DX Report 97
10  08/21)

MEXICO - R. Educacion plans to increase power soon to 50,000 watts, most
likely by November (Hector Garcia, Mexico, WORLD OF RADIO 907) I assume
he refers to 6185, presently announcing 5 kW, but generally with a
better signal than XERMX when QRM allows. Could DW possibly QSY? XEPPM
is enough to mar DW reception in return already. English IDs are often
included, but programming is primarily in Spanish, in the clear when I
often listen around 0200-0300, 1000-1100* (Glenn Hauser, OK) The August
program guide shows a DX program in Spanish, Comunicacion 6185 at  these
UT: Wed 0200, Thu 0500, Fri 0600, Sat 0800, Sun 1000 (Hector Garcia,
Mexico, WORLD OF RADIO 907) Not UT Wed Aug 20 at 0200 when Numismatica
Alegria" aired instead, nor UT Thu Aug 21 at 0200 on the history of jazz
in Mexico (Glenn Hauser, OK/SW/DX Report 97 10  08/21)

MEXICO - Hector Garcia checked again with XEPPM about their planned
power increase and now they say it will be 10 kW, not 50. The times
given for their DX program last week were both UT hours and days, but
I've checked most of them and the program has not shown up yet. XERTA
had still not returned as of Aug 27. Hector says R. Mil, 6010, is
considering separate SW programming from MW (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF
RADIO 908 /SW/DX Report 97 Aug 28)

MEXICO - The sporadically active Tus Panteras, Merida, 6105.0, was back
Aug 28 at 1213 with news, Mexican clue-words such as pesos, Secretaria,
and finally at 1225 "aqui en Merida" tho no ID heard. Had been listed as
off the air in Jeff White's early-August summary via Cumbre. Somewhat
undermodulated but right on frequency, bad slop from the 6110
battleground. Afterwards received E-mail from Hector Garcia in Mexico
that he had also been hearing 6105, but IDs as Candela FM; and that
Julian Santiago found out from station that the 810 outlet relayed on SW
is no longer Thy Panthers but Radio Formula Merida (Glenn Hauser, OK/
SW/DX Report 97 Aug 28)

PERU - Seems R. Ilucan has settled down on 5629.8 now.  Signal doesn't
seem as strong as it used to on 5619.  (Valko, USA)

PIRATE EUROPE -  Radio Internazionale is now active on 7500 kHz with new
e-mail:   < r7500@xxxxxxxxxxx > (if correct!) (Pecolatto / Radiorama
Pirate News Aug # 4)

PIRATE EUROPE - Radio Internazionale is now active on 7500 kHz with new
e-mail: < r7500@xxxxxxxxxxx >or < 7500@xxxxxxxxxxx > (we have two
different!) I confirm that the exact e-mail of Radio Internazionale is:<
r7500@xxxxxxxxxxx > (news from Radio Internazionale via B.Pecolatto,
Italy)

PIRATE EUROPE -  British RADIO ZODIAC is going to test towards the USA
on September 7th from 00.15 UTC until about 06.00 UTC on 6400 kHz.
Please spread this news in the USA and around the world too.(from
SRSnews/Radiorama Pirate News Aug # 5)

PIRATE EUROPE - Radio Handshake is a new italian pirate station with
test on 76 meter band (about 20 watts), for your report contact write
to: c/o GAMT, C.P.3 Succ.10, 31100 Treviso, Italy.(from Luigi Basso
/Radiorama Pirate News Aug # 5)

USA - WWCR. The Winter schedule, effective 26 October, is now posted on
their Web site at <http://www.wwcr.com/cr_sked.htm>. (Sundstrom-NJ, USA)

---------------------------
DX PROGRAMS
---------------------------

WORLD OF RADIO SCHEDULE, effective August 26: NOTE: some important
changes in our schedule on WWCR.  On WWCR Nashville, Thu 2030 15685, Sat
0600 5070 AND 3210, Sat 1130 5070, Sun 0900 3210, Mon 0300 3215 [NEW],
Tue 1230 15685.  On RFPI Costa Rica: Fri 2000, Sat 0400, 1100, 1800, Sun
0200, 0900, 2300, Mon 0700, Tue 1900, Wed 0300, 1000--on 15050 AM in
1900-0500 period, 7385 2200-1200, NEW 7585-USB 0000-1200.  NEW!! On
WGTG, Georgia, UT Tue 0400 on 5085-USB. If the tape arrives before
Monday additional unscheduled times may occur, such as UT Mon 0515 on
5085-USB or on 9400 Sat, Sun daytime (Hauser, Aug 27). W.O.R. is a
listener-supported, public-service program about communications around
the world, especially, but not limited to, Shortwave Broadcasting. Look
for separately distributed rundowns of topics in each half-hour edition,
or on our website, now reachable at a shortened URL on newer browsers: <
http://idt.net/~khecht19/ghauser > also usually in RFPI Weekly Updates,
previews by E-mail or newsgroups. (Hauser, OK USA Aug 26)

WORLD OF RADIO WEBSITE MOVES. With thanks to Kevin Hecht for getting us
started and maintaining it the past year, we are now moving to:  <
http://www.grove.net/~ghauser > (Hauser, OK USA Aug 26/SW/DX Report Aug
28) --- Actually, the URL is <http://www.grove.net/~ghauser/wor.html> --
otherwise you wind up with a directory listing and no page. We've
included the full URL in our Hot Links at
<http://www.trsc.com/trs_link.htm>. -- Thomas R. Sundstrom, NJ USA

CONVENTION '98 -  E-MAIL REGISTRATION FORM

CELEBRATING THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE NEW ZEALAND RADIO DX LEAGUE -
FROM THURSDAY THE 5TH OF FEBRUARY, COMMENCING 3;00 PM TO SUNDAY THE 8TH
OF FEBRUARY 1998, CLOSING AT 11 AM. VENUE: CAMP IONA, HERBERT, NORTH
OTAGO, NEW ZEALAND --- Camp Iona is situated a short distance from the
township of Herbert and has numerous accomodation blocks including a
"lodge" reserved for older members. Other accomodation is of motor-camp
standard. There is a large hall, sports hall and plenty of ablutions
facilities. FORMAT: The Convention will provide a full programme
including discussion groups, guest speakers, sight-seeing, radio
activities, an auction, quiz-night
and a dinner at 1 p.m. on Saturday at the Boulders Park Restaurant to
commemorate the League's 50th anniversary.
NAME:
ADDRESS:
PLANNED ARRIVAL IN OAMARU/HERBERT
Time:
Method of Transport:
(Please advise if you need transport from Oamaru or Herbert to Camp
Iona. International Conventioneers; please advise if you need schedules
from Christchurch/Dunedin etc to Oamaru for bus, train etc.)
PLANNED DEPARTURE
Time:
Method of Transport:
AGE GROUP:
Up to 25 years
26-50 years
51 years and over
INTERESTS
Shortwave:
Mediumwave:
TV/FM:
Utility:
COMMENTS
If you need to make any special arrangements or plan to stay for only
part of the time, please indicate here:
If you have any special medical requirements or disabilities please
indicate here:
If you will be accompanied by members of your family, please list their
names (and ages for children) here:
If you would prefer to stay at a nearby motel, please indicate here:
CONVENTION COSTS: NZ $80 per person for whole Convnetion, if you are
only attending certain functions or nights please let us know and we
will calculate the cost accordingly. Payment to be made in full at time
of registration, by cheque, money-order etc. Make cheques payable to:
North Otago Branch NZRDXL. please do not send cash. The above cost
covers all on site accomodation and meals and the Commemorative dinner.
Please send this form with your registration fee to: Convention '98, C/o
Basil Jamieson 14 O R D Oamaru Please send any e-mail enquiries to Basil
Jamieson, basjam@xxxxxxxx or to Paul Ormandy  < paulorm@xxxxxxxx  >
(via P.Ormandy, New Zealand)
.....Paul, a journey in New Zealand is my prohibited dream ....!!!
Gianni, --ed.

<  Marconi ha dato agli uomini un nuovo
modo di conoscersi, di aiutarsi, di
amarsi, quale nessun  poeta o scienziato
aveva mai immaginato.  >
                                                  Nuova Antologia

< La conoscenza e' la prima forma di liberta'. >
                                                       Giovanni Serra

< Un uomo che abbia qualcosa da dire
e non trovi chi l' ascolta,
se la passa male.