PIRATE: WMRR

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, PIRATE, POLITICS, PUBLICATION, SCHEDULE, QSL,
QUESTION. For more information, please check
http://www.iki.fi/rko/hard-core-dx/ or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

On Sep 7 at 0015 UTC noted Wild Mushroom Radio up and running their unique
brand of non-programming on 1700 kHz. Towards the end of my reporting period
at 0045 they drifted (or moved to 1700.5 kHz). Audio was real muddy, but
carrier was quite strong here in B-town (southwestern tip of North Carolina
in the USA). Rough DF bearing taken using the Kiwa Amplified MW loop
indicated 30/210 degrees.

Based on accents etc, my guess is this one originates in the NE US. It
definitely not coming from down here in the south (unless the poor audio
really messed up their  speech).  ;-)

This one seems to be a weekend regular so if you haven't logged it yet, you
might want to give it a try next weekend.  I caught tehm quite by accident
when I was checking for activity on 1698.0 kHz from La Courna Maritime
Radio, Spain. I sometimes use this station as a propagation beacon to spot
high band BCB West Med TA's here in the great interior where TA DX seldom
comes. ;-(

Have a great day all,

Larry Van Horn
AM/FM/TV DX List owner

Grove Radio Forums Manager
Tracking the Trunks/Utility World columnist
Assistant Editor Monitoring Times
Managing Editor-Satellite Times magazine

Stop H.R. 1964/2369 or lose your right to listen to non broadcast radio!!!