BULLETIN: Glenn Hauser's SW/DX, Sept 18

    GLENN HAUSER'S SHORTWAVE/DX REPORT 97-13, Sept. 18, 1997

WHERE TO READ HAUSER'S ORIGINAL COMPLETE DX REPORTS. As an
editor myself always picking and choosing what to publish or
broadcast, I understand that other editors do not always run my
DX news in its entirety or without alteration. However, for
those who would like to access exactly what I distribute, check
my website archive: http://www.grove.net/~ghauser and click on
DX news archives. They're also posted routinely on hard-core-dx
and British DX Club listservers (Glenn Hauser)

THIS WEEK ON WORLD OF RADIO 910.
 Sputnik relaunch, Larry Magne
on the Tauzin bill, ham DXpeditions, China increases jamming,
press teletype from Iraq, Jordan, Tip for Rational Living, sites
for RTE football special via BBC, Saharan clandestine on MW/SW,
and much more including the items summarized below (Hauser)

AUSTRALIA. Monash University is working on a deal with Radio
Australia to broadcast educational programs in English and other
languages to Asia. This may lead to the reactivation of the
Darwin transmitters, or leasing Asian transmitters (Guy Healy,
The Weekend Australian, Sept 13, via Matt Francis, WORLD OF RADIO 910)

AUSTRIA. ORF's 0030 broadcast in English to us on 9655 has been
hit by co-channel from RDP International, Portugal, first noted
Sept 14 when it was on top of ORF; on Sept 17 ORF was on top at
first but by 0054 was buried by Portugal, which is still weaker
than its own //9570, so 9655 probably to S. America. I expect
we can kiss ORF goodbye, as they have shown no concern in past
about clearing up clashes, such as doggedly sticking all last
winter on 7325 at 0230 despite BBC, and I fear they may do the
same in W97. Those who want to complain to ORF's frequency
manager can use the new hfbc@xxxxxx (Glenn Hauser, OK)

COSTA RICA. As promised, after its summer hiatus, CONTINENT OF
MEDIA returns in October, on RFPI only. It's a monthly
supplement to WORLD OF RADIO, on American media developments,
not especially shortwave, repeated week after week until a new
edition is ready on this new schedule: Wed 2300 on 15050 and
7385, Thu 0700 on 7385 and 7585-USB; may start either Oct. 1 or
8; listen for advisories on W.O.R. Time may change again in
January (Hauser)

CROATIA. Zagreb vanished lately from previous German relay
frequencies, so I checked their website. As before, no sites
specified, but I translated from Croatian and CEST their new
schedule effective Sept. 7:
ENAm 0100-0300 5890, 1130-2000 13830, 2000-2200 11635
WNAm 0300-0500 5895
AuNZ 2000-2200 5850
SAm  2300-0100 5890
SAf  2000-2200 9595
English news is M-F at 0603, 0803, 1203, 2103; Sat/Sun 0703,
1203, 2103 (Glenn Hauser, WORLD OF RADIO 910)

ECUADOR. 13 meters is showing some life again. Despite
occasional daytime checks, HCJB's 21455-USB hadn't been heard
for months, but there it was Sept 15 at 1927 very poor //12015
in English which wasn't much better (Hauser, OK)

GREECE. Around Sept 8, VOG changed the program feed for the VOA-USA
relays at 1830-2200 on 11730 and 17745, no longer a variety of languages
including English but all-Greek (Owen Williamson, TX and John Babbis,
MD, WORLD OF RADIO 910)

HAWAI'I. A comedy of errors at KWHR, where test frequencies were
apparently chosen without checking first if they were already in
use, even by fellow religionists. At 1300, first tried 7510, not
knowing that KTBN has been there for ages until 1500*, so KWHR
switched to 7560. Then Sept 15 at 1928 I checked 17555 as
scheduled and found KWHR test loop way under WYFR's Open Forum;
a subaudible heterodyne existed between the two stations, and at
2115 recheck, WYFR was even further atop. I wonder how long it
will take KWHR to figure out they should get off 17555 while
WYFR is using it. By Sept 17, instead of test loop, KWHR was
relaying its South Bend "Pulse FM" at 1223 in morning show, with
EST TCs, hardly relevant in the South Pacific night (Hauser, OK)

IRELAND [non]. Judging from a letter by Bernard Evans, he's
really, really pissed at the Irish PO for rejecting most of the
mail sent by listeners to Emerald Radio for the series of
broadcasts this summer on WWCR; fears his students will be
disheartened at the lack of response to their labors. Why not
publicize a new address not involving a PO box for follow-ups?
And they do have E-mail, including global@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I realize now that we may have compounded the problem in the 97-
10 DX Report which explained that the zone number 1 was
essential after Dublin, but giving Box 100 instead of the
correct Box 200! Sorry (Glenn Hauser, OK)

NIGERIA [non]. Do we have a fourth clandestine now? UT Sunday
Sept 14 but not since, Ivan Grishin heard after Germany's relay
of Lithuania on 5910 at 0030-0100 another half hour until 0130
identified as Voice of New Nigeria, talking about corrupt
regime, music and vernacular, with P.O. Box in Boston, not sure
if same one announced by V. of Free Nigeria, still Sat 1900 on
11680. Maybe for exiles in NAm, on this beam, and a bit late for
Nigeria itself (WORLD OF RADIO 910)
   The next Ask WWCR program, #25 will interview Ralph of Radio
NADECO about what they're trying to accomplish. Listeners
invited to E-mail questions in advance. Check wwcr.com for
schedule, and if you miss it, for audio later (Hauser)

PERU. 6811.3 [hey, he put the fq first!], measured presumed
Peruvian Sept. 17 with lively madrugador show and UT-5 TCs, but
couldn't pull an ID. Still traces of it when I roused at 1145.
Fortunately, Horacio Nigro also found what must have been this
earlier that UT day until 0205* on about 6810.5, and identified
it as Ondas del Rio Mayo up from 6797; and also at 1045 (Hauser,
WORLD OF RADIO 910)

UNIDENTIFIED. Lest ye forget, the Spanish preaching-and-music
outlet is still going and still heard by me if by no one else,
such as Sept 15 a bit later than usual around 1530 with music,
measured on 7543.6 LSB (Glenn Hauser, OK)             ###