[HCDX]: Re: Radio Nacional, Bolivia

> BOLIVIA  4201a "R. Nacional"  0159 Folk mx and short ancmts by man in
> Aymara. At 0200: vibraphone and the following ID in SP: "Usted sintoniza a
> CP3, 1390 KHz, Radio Nacional, desde la Paz, Republica de Bolivia",
again...... (Nigro)

If it is Radio Nacional from La Paz, it should be noted that this is
*not* a government owned station, but rather a privately owned
commercial station. Bolivia is unusual in that stations named "Radio
Nacional" are privately-owned. Others that may be familiar to DXers
are Radio Nacional de Huanuni, which is owned by a miners' union, and
Radio Nacional in Cochabamba, which is commercial. Radio Nacional of
La Paz did use shortwave many, many years ago, 4815 if I recall
correctly. I logged them once, back around the early 1970s, I
believe. I visited the station when I was in La Paz in 1985. I
remember it being a very run-down place and that the facilities were
filled with boxes and piles of papers everywhere to the extent that
it was difficult to move around. I waited over an hour to talk to the
manager, but he never got off the phone, so I never got my QSL. This
was easily the least-professional station I ever visited in a LAm
capital city. BTW, Bolivia's government-owned station is Radio
Illimani, named after the huge mountain that overlooks La Paz.

Don Moore   moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.mcrest.edu/~moore/patepluma.html