Re: [HCDX]: The MW Band is Rockin'!

Don Moman wrote:

> Wasn't able to check or compare the last few nights, but it's not over yet
> - here.  MANY signals with audio in the 0500-0700 utc area Dec 31. In
> fact, Virgin 1215 is quite listenable as I type this and VoRussia on 1386
> has been a local all evening. Easily copyable in AM with virtually nothing
> domestic audible on 1380 or 1390.  1395 NewsRadio was a close second this
> evening too.  Other good freqs 1197 VOA 1107 1422 1179 1206 .
>
> Best, Don

It's posts like Don's that make me simply envious!

While some other DXers continue to experience good TA reception, my last fair
catch was Denmark-1062 signing on Dec 30, when from 0357 I detected a carrier
which developed into a weak signal, a YL w/presumed s/on at 0359, then an OM
w/presumed news at 0400. Very weak but discernible, though certainly not like
on the weekend. Around sunset Dec 30, I could hardly hear a het on WWKB nor
the best-in-a-decade signal (here!) from Albania on 1394.9.

I'm surrounded by electrical noise, most of which comes from the Hammond
Transformer plant (within view of my home), a busy intersection with several
businesses that have on-line computers, Christmas lights and a nearby chronic
care hospital. As a result LW to around 700 kHz is badly covered with noise,
extending even to some of  the mid-section channels of the bands, except some
times on weekends. It's a tough go DXing here, especially splits! Sometimes I
hear them, but can't make out anything useful except during a good opening.

On top of it all, my wife can't undestand the hobby -- she won't even think of
selling. And she also thinks it strange that I should want to drive out  into
the country to stretch wires so that I might possibly hear something in a
language which I don't speak!<g>
--
Regards,
Werner