[HCDX] Illegal use of 10 MHz

10 MHz was used as a link between a Peruvian drugs kingpin and the chief of the Peruvian secret services, Vladmiro Montesinos.

This information can be found in the book "En el reino del espanto" (In the Kingdom of Terror), by Alvaro Vargas Llosa, and just published by Editorial Grijalbo.

The cocaine boss was extradited from Colombia and Montesinos is now in Panama where he has applied for asylum.

The drug lord, whose nickname was "Vaticano", was paid 50 000 dollars a month for informing on guerilla activity in the Huallaga area and Montesinos, in turn, informed "Vaticano" of upcoming raids to be conducted by the antinarcotics police.

Both parties were scheduled at 6 - 7 pm, local time, on 10 000 kHz.

In HCDX and other media there was a discussion on the illegal use of this frequency in May 1999. Among those who participated were van Ewicjk, Brazil, Mackerell, NZ, Barrera, Argentina, Asenjo, Chile, Krueger, USA, and myself.

A 10-minute clip made by Mackerell during Easter, 1999, showing the illegal use of 10 MHz can still be downloaded from
http://www.owdjim.gen.nz/chris/radio/DXSoundBite/10MHz.ram

Here is part of what I wrote at the time:

"The second tune in Mackerell´s clip is in a style similar to that of Colombian accordionist
 Lisandro Meza, whose music is extremely popular in Peru. When DXing from Bogotá, I did notice these pirates, who sound just like 27 MHz CB operators, but I never stayed on the fqy to give them a listen. Looking thru my log I find just one entry: Aug 28, 1998, 0023, "la gallina ciega de Ilo, Perú, necesita un comprendido" (...) Many of these operators seem to be in some clandestine activity, such as drug trafficking or smuggling (...)"

Henrik Klemetz