[HCDX] IS YOUR COAX ACTUALLY AN ANTENNA?

[HCDX] IS YOUR COAX ACTUALLY AN ANTENNA?

Per the article done a couple months back by Bill Bowers of Oklahoma. I
decided to find out if the 75 feet of RG58/59 was picking up signals.
When I disconnected the antenna from the coax, yes I did hear some
signals. However when connecting the receiver directly to the antenna
through a 3 foot piece of coax (Yes I took the R8 outside), I found no
different in the noise floor or the signal numbers on the S Meter or the
directivity of the antennas. None. KXL-750-Portland OR and
KPAM-860-Portland both run 50 KW days. KXL is directional to the West
and KPAM in ND. Both run right at S9+20 DB off the 1500 foot Eastern
beverage during the day. With 75 feet of coax connected to the receiver
inside the house or the three feet using the receiver at the antenna.
When connecting the coax to the antenna and the coax to receiver, it
kind of nutalizes the signals not in the path of the Eastern Beverage as
far as I can tell. Other than the locals, the very weak stuff off from
the lobe of the beverage  are gone.  There is one "big" difference
between Oklahoma and the Oregon Coast, the water in the Ground. I find
the noise level to be much worse in dry areas like our place in Rancho
Mirage CA (1 1/2 inches of rain a year) compared to Seaside (65-100
inches a year).
   I was thinking the coax might cause the noise level to increase
somewhat, but I could find no difference. The only antenna I did not
check was the 400' NNW wire with 150 feet of coax. There is no power
over there and I did not want to haul a battery with me to run the R8.
   These tests were done on MW (530-1700 KHZ). At least here on the
Oregon coast I find the coax to be fine in running my antennas. It might
be different in a dryer climate.
   I did this test for two reasons. The first reason was to find of if
my coax was affecting the directivity and noise floor. The second was to
see if I was getting any loss in the coax. It has been out there a few
years, but only maybe 10 feet is buried. The rest of it runs under the
house totally shielded by the metal around the base of the house which
is also grounded.

Patrick Martin
Seaside  OR
KAVT Reception Manager