Re: [HCDX] 193rd Special Operation Wing

> At 18:04 08/10/2001, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Deutschlandfunk reported today, that the US Forces dropped small
> >spring-operated radios (I think that means the Baygen-Freeplay) over
> >Afghanistan to allow the local people to listen to broadcasts aired from
> >an aircraft cruising in high-altitudes above Afghanistan.
> >
> >So, the 193rd Special Operation Wings are back with their EC-130E
> >aircrafts and the 10 kW mediumwave transmitter. Anybody out there who
> >knows the frequency?

NPR's "All Things Considered" ran a story on this aircraft this
afternoon.  It goes by the name of Commando Solo and is outfitted with
complete AM/FM/SW/TV broadcast facilities.  The report was mostly an
interview with a gentleman from Jane's Defence Weekly, who commented
that the planes has been used previously in Kosovo, Haiti, and Iraq, and
typically flies in a figure 8 pattern at about 20,000 feet.  He also
commented that many Afghans own radios, and some of the more resourceful
people use bicycles fitted with dynamotors to power their sets.

If you do a web search for "Commando Solo" on google.com, you'll get
back a long list of hits. Some of the web sites have photos, technical
information, etc. about the plane, although not a lot is said about
transmitter power & other mission specific information.