RE: [HCDX] DX-ers as potential terrorists......

RE: [HCDX] DX-ers as potential terrorists......

> Dear DX ers,
> The times that shortwave listeners who received mail from R. Moscow and R.
> Peking automatically obtained attention of the secret service, are way
> behind us. However, in the post 9.11 days other dangers are
> emerging, as my
> experiences show :

Just for background, a few years ago Media Network did an investigation into
the potential problems of carrying radio equipment on board aircraft. I
personally had the opportunity to ask a few questions of a security man in
Philadelphia when he was doing a routine search. It turns out that there was
not (and most probably still isn't) a single policy enforced at all airports
and by all airlines. He worked for British Airways, and said that the rules
for carrying such equipment not only vary from airport to airport and
airline to airline, but even between different routes with the same airline!

In short, my personal advice to those of you travelling with shortwave
equipment is to check well ahead of time with both your departure airport
and your airline about any potential problems. But do not assume that any
advice you receive automatically applies every time you travel.

BTW may I wish those of you celebrating the 4th July a happy and peaceful
day.

Andy Sennitt
Radio Netherlands

Keep in mind EDXC Conference 2002 in mid-August - the biggest DX and SWL
meeting in Europe! See http://www.sdxl.org/edxc/edxc2002.html, come to
Pori, Finland and enjoy!