[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 18

** CHILE. I continue to marvel at the super signal the 100 kW from Voz
Cristiana puts in here, in Spanish aimed at Mexico, on 17680 all day, such as
1455 Oct 18. What a pity that this facility (or another transmitter there) is
not used for a ``Voice of South America`` external service. If Chile is not
interested, one or more other countries could back it and provide a terrific
service to the rest of the world in English and other languages, conveying
South American news, culture, and yes, politics. But no one has the vision to
do it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Seems the Chicom have come up with yet another jamming technique. Oct
18 at 1403 on 7330 I was hearing Chinese talk with multiple quick echoes. It
was hard to tell, but each word must have echoed three or four times. Could be
from one transmitter, or multiple sites, and surely no accident. This is to
block BBC in Chinese via Vladivostok. Just one more reminder that when you hear
CRI in English clearly relayed via Albania, Canada, Chile, Cuba, French Guiana,
Mali, Toronto, Washington DC, or wherever, they do not deserve it (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. DRM going strong on 15375 again, Oct 18 at 1411 and still at 1503,
presumably HCJB as usual. This is not on every day. I sure thought it was
centred on 15375, but see this: (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

10/13/2005 --- Ecuador: HCJB is doing some special DRM transmissions to Chile
from Oct. 13 through Oct. 22nd on 15370 kHz from 1200 to 2400 UT (from
http://baseportal.com/baseportal/drmdx/main via DXLD) Frequency listing adds
that it`s 30 kW aimed 150 degrees (gh)

** GUAM. On 11885, Oct 18 at 1446 some music, 1448 announcement in Burmese from
AWR --- or so I thought, until I looked up in NDXC and find that this semihour
is scheduled in Karen. Is Karen that much like Burmese, or maybe they actually
threw in a Burmese ID (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KURDISTAN [non]. The website of the Belgian Kurdish radio station Dengê
Mezopotamya http://www.denge-mezopotamya.com has been unavailable since around
6 October. The domain is still active, but access is being blocked by the
German provider. The SW transmissions and Belgian-hosted audio streaming
http://wm.streampower.be/roj_radio remain unaffected (Bernd Trutenau,
Lithuania, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

So I guess the issue remains of whether this organization is ``terrorist``.
Meanwhile, reception has improved greatly on 11530; I was enjoying their music
Oct 18 at 1425, 1429 giving a website (or something with www in it); I was not
copying, but after the fact, it seemed like the one above that has indeed been
blocked. 1430 into talk, presumably news. But like so many other clandestines,
this one plays a lot of enjoyable music. Long live the Radio Sawa model! (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Solar-terrestrial indices for 17 October follow. Solar flux 78 and mid-latitude
A-index 15. The mid-latitude K-index at 1500 UTC on 18 October was 4 (43 nT).
No space weather storms were observed for the past 24 hours (SEC via DXLD)

** SPAIN. La Bañera de Ulises, 1405 Tue Oct 18 on REE 17595, I recognized as
the show I had already heard Sat at 1705 on RNE R3, so this is a repeat. The
host was again talking about the new timing of 7:05 pm Saturdays. I begin to
wonder whether he is even aware he also has a SW audience worldwide, since he
treats it as a domestic service program, ignoring the SW time (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SUDAN [non]. Sudan Radio Service, 17660 with news in English at 1507 Oct 18,
about Catholic schools having been forced to close last Thursday for Ramadan,
while the schools in predominantly Christian areas want to have students
continue studying for exams in January; this is via Woofferton, UK (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TAIWAN. Following up yesterday`s blob on 9661v, 24 hours later, Oct 18 at
1330, RTI in Japanese was back on 9635, accompanied by some clicks but
otherwise passable audio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Checking out Lou Johnson`s complaint, I was monitoring 17640 before
and after 1500 Oct 18. Before the hour, BBCWS in English was quite listenable
altho not particularly strong. After 1500 it was obliterated by WHRA, marching
as to war, tho once the music stopped I could detect an undercurrent of
something. It took only about 10 seconds to change from 15310 to 17640. This
collision is totally unnecessary as there are plenty of clear frequencies in
the 16m band (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Noted DRM buzz on 15520 at 1505 Oct 18. Not in the
http://baseportal.com/baseportal/drmdx/main schedule at all
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/