Re: [HCDX] Wellbrook ALA1530 setup

Hi Deano, the Wellbrook 330/1530 loop is 1m in diameter but there is an LF
version of the wellbrook that uses a large aperture wire (I think about 25m)
 There are different models of the smaller Wellbrook loops - I don't know
which you have but they cover different frequency ranges. The one I have,
the ALA330s covers to approx 100MHz (gain is a bit low at the top end) so
could probably be used for ACARS, although I would think a pair of crossed
dipoles would be better for this as they would be omni-directional. The loop
does does become very directional at VHF so a rotor of some kind would be
very useful. I would recommend a visit to the Wellbrook website: http://www
wellbrook.uk.com/ and if that doesn't answer your questions, then email Andy
Ikin (sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx). As for the 2001d, lovely radio - I used one for
many years, the only thing you may find is that the Wellbrook loop has too
much gain for it and may overload it on certain frequencies (I think the
2001d is a little prone to this especially on FM/Airband if I remember
correctly). Hope this helps a bit!

Regards,

Sean D. Gilbert G4UCJ/G4001SWL

International Editor - WRTH (World Radio TV Handbook)

E-Mail: sean.gilbert@xxxxxxxx

Fax: +44 (0) 709 2332287

WRTH Web site: www.wrth.com

G4UCJ's Radio Website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g4ucj

WRTH - THE Directory of Global Broadcasting

WRTH2006 60th Anniversary edition available early December!

visit www.wrth.com to order yours NOW!

Icom IC756 + Wellbrook ALA330s at 15m