[HCDX] Wellbrook ALA1530 setup

I have had my sony 2001D ser no. 321396 since new and have not really taken advantage of it by setting up a decent antenna. I have been given by a friend his Wellbrook active magnetic loop antenna unit & interface unit but no actual aluminum antenna. He was using a single flexible wire loop but I dont know what size.
Can someone recommend a suitable single wire size for  me to use and what would be the ideal diameter of the loop using a flexible wire?
  When setup I would also like to use the radio to recieve weatherfax, would this antenna give a good reception for this? Also does it increase the reception of VHF so I can setup to recieve aircraft ACARS info?

  Hope not too many questions at once but many thanks for any replies,

  Deano

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.