[HCDX] Unusual propagation

A short repport from:
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada
(514) 685-0714
Equipment:
Sanyo MCD-S830 portable with ferrite bar antenna

Trans-Atlantic DX (surprisingly):

585 SPAIN,   Radio Nacional de España, Madrid DEC 11 0020 - threshold level with what sounded like dramatic play. Very shortly audible. Surfaced again 0058 just before the top-of-the-hour with familiar Spanish rock tune extremely threshold, but definitively // with the Net stream (see below). Was surprized to hear them even at such weak and almost unusable levels, since the geomagnetic conditions seems bad and not even short-haul WICC-600 was audible at all. Not hearing *AT ALL* a short-haul signal and hearing TA audio is definitively intriguing ! Nothing on 1134, with adjacent NYC pest nulled, my only other TA regular. (Chiochiu-QC)

On Pan-American DX, I was able to hear a nice on-the-air ID from RVC-530 from the man announcer as "...sintonia de Radio Visión Crisitiana Internacional, la emisora de Dios..." and nice sounding Xmas gospel tunes, including Colombian cumbia based ones. However, this is the only Latin; on 750 I cannot even get the WSB "pest", let alone Venezuela. And nothing readable on 600. Spain was barely *readable*, but on 600 *no audio from either Cuba or WICC* with the radio perpendicular to the north-south directions. This is the only reason why I'm reporting, because of the very poor, but unusual propagation patterns.

Today, I found a copy of the RNE stream; pass this into your Windows Media Player http://www.rtve.es/rne/audio/r1live.asx, it is usefool for // checking if you don't get the chance to actually IDing them. Your computer should be far enough from the radio, though. Mine is in the basement and my radio is on the 2th floor !

I'm still happy with the Radio Mil SW reception of this morning. Unfortunately, I sleeped this afternoon so my chances of getting early in the morning again for DXing them are pretty slim. But, hey, I forgot Radio Mexico Internacional. I'm gonna get them on 11770 and the 31 MB freq. I forgot what it is.

Before, I left, I'd like if someone could tip me on African MW DX. I'd like to know what is the best time to listen to Radio Rurale de Labé on slightly off 1386. SEMI-auroral condx, auroral condx, quiet condx ? Guinea is more east than south from Montreal as compared to Cape Cod, so I'm not sure wherever Aurora may help. There is also Angola, but that's not very likely, because they are too far away and are only running 10 kW. But, in the case that an Aurora may be helpfull, I should be on the lock-out for an unusual strong signal from eastern Venezuela and possible unheard Brazilians, as to nail Guinea (Angola seems very unlikely; Mark never got the old plan channel Angolans in Billerica, but *he got* Labé, Guinea. I have wrote to Mark some questions including the African MW issue, but didn't received an answer yet.

That's all for now ! I have some SW logs from today including a "new for me" Africa Numéro Un frequency reception along with Mexico Int., they'll fill Cumbre DX, Hard-Core DX and playdx probably tomorrow.

Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan

World Radio TV Handbook 2006 is coming out.