Re: [HCDX] [NRC-AM] New TIS in Chicago area - WQFE239

Hi everyone:

You bet!  It is very possible to pick up TIS in Europe, and I am
surprised that it hasn't happened more often.  Before the more
westerly stations fade in there are DX opportunities to hear TISs on
channels like 1620, 1630, 1640, 1670, and 1700.  These channels don't
have regular broadcast stations in the NE USA but are loaded with
TISs.  The past few days I have logged several new non-local TISs on
1620 and 1640. Even after the regular broadcast stations start to
come in, they might fade down enough for a lucky DXer like Jim to
hear some TISs.

It might be worth a few shots for European DXers to try for these
stations on a beverage in a remote area like Lemmenjoki.  I think it
is wonderful that Jim heard WQBR256.  Maybe there are more such
catches out there.  How about it?

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland
an avid TIS DXer

On 30 Sep 2006 at 21:11, Håkan Sundman wrote:

> Kaz wrote:
>
> "Chris, I trust you can get the Lake County TIS on 1620 (I think there are
> at least 2 of them on in //) The one that is in Lindenhurst gets out
> really well (Libertyville is also strong) and can be had on my DX setup
> days 60 miles N in Grafton WI."
>
> The Lake County HAR WQBR256 on 1620 is the first, and so far only, real
> HAR/TIS ever heard in Finland. In March Jim Solatie spent a week in
> Lemmenjoki and wanted to report KOZN, as they had not replied, and was
> surprised to hear a loop from WQBR256 twice. After some detective work the
> station was identified and Jim actually visited the station in the Summer.
> Traffic Engineer Anthony Khawaja is now using Jim's reception report in
> his presentation to visitors of the station.
>
> 73
> Hakan Sundman
> Right now in Lemmenjoki

Preorder your WRTH 2007: