[HCDX] Ft. DeSoto loggings

The below bandscan was made on 30 September, 2006 at coastal Ft. DeSoto county
park, Mullet Key, FL.  Receiver was merely the shitty stock 2004 Chevy Impala
radio.  All times/dates GMT.  Frequencies in kHz unless otherwise stated.  Cuba
locations estimated, of course.

530 CUBA Radio Cadena Habana, unknown city, La Habana; 1710-1730 w/ Noticiero
Nacional de Radio half-hour news feed in progress (NNdR hereafter), xlnt.

590 CUBA Radio Musical Nacional, unknown city, Villa Clara; 1745 w/ classical
music, xlnt.

640 CUBA Radio Progreso, Guanabacoa, Ciudad de la Habana; 1750, xlnt w/ novela
crap.

660 CUBA Radio Progreso, Santa Clara, Villa Clara; 1750, fair w/ novela.

670 CUBA Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arenas, Ciudad de la Habana; 1745, good.

710 CUBA Radio Rebelde, La Julia, La Habana;  1745, very good.

730 CUBA Radio Progreso, La Fé, Isla de la Juventud; 1745, very good w/ unID US
station (black gospel and preacher).

790 CUBA Radio Reloj; Pinar del Río, Pinar del Río; 1750, fair.

880 USA unidentified; 1743-1805, fairly strong, definitely stateside, but who?
Mexican ranchera format music, canned "La Clásica, la Original" slogan a couple
of times but no formal ID heard at top-of-hour.  Fairly decent signal.  Nothing
listed in LA, MS or AL (due to WWL, 870), and only two apparent inactive or
construction permit status stations in FL: 860331, Sweetwater (Miami-Dade
County) licensed to Florida City Radio, and a "New" in Tallahassee, licensed to
Advance Acquisition Radio (great name for a company).  Without any DFing
capabilities, I could not make any bearings.  No trace of Radio Progreso (Cuba)
at this time, and not parallel Progreso.  Anyone else hearing this?  (Maybe
someone in DX-F posted recently and I just missed it.)

880 CUBA Radio Progreso, Pinar del Río, Pinar del Río; 2000, very good, no trace
of the presumed domestic XE format station at this check.

890 CUBA Radio Progreso, Santa Clara, Villa Clara; 2000, fair.

940 FLORIDA WPTI814 Pinellas County Department of Emergency Management, Largo;
reactivated, noted 1740+ w/ choppy signal and the Miami station underneath,
otherwise fair level w/ nonstop NOAA Weather Radio KHB32 relay, except for male
canned ID inserts roughly every four minutes as, "You are listening to WPTI814
on 940 AM radio... operated by the Pinellas County Department of Emergency
Management..."  Seemingly familiar voice (I won't say here!).  Confirmed this is
the Ulmerton Road transmitter (Largo) with a 1 October driveby.  The FCC's
Wireless Telecom Bureau now lists no less that six entries for WPTI814:
Clearwater, Clearwater ("temporary"), Largo, St. Petersburg, Palm Harbor and
(oddly) Pinellas Park.  As far as I know, only three (downtown St. Petersburg,
Largo and Palm Harbor) were installed, and as far as I can tell, only the Largo
site is active, or was for awhile prior to this going into many weeks of 24/7
open carrier and then finally falling silent early this year.  Current signal
appears to be a bit weaker than the glory days.

950 CUBA Radio Reloj, Pastora, Ciudad de la Habana; 1740, very good w/ weak unID
US station (financial news format) underneath.

1060 CUBA Radio Veintiseis, unknown city, Matanzas; 1710-1730 w/ NNdR feed,
fair.

1080 CUBA Radio Cadena Habana, Güines, La Habana; 1710-1730 w/ NNdR feed, fair.

1100 CUBA Radio Cadena Habana, unknown city, La Habana; 1710-1730 w/ NNdR feed,
fair.

1120 CUBA Radio Cadena Habana, Artemisa, La Habana; 1710-1730 w/ NNdR feed,
fair-good.

1140 CUBA Radio Cadena Habana, Pastora, Ciudad de la Habana; 1710-1730 w/ NNdR
feed, very poor in local WTMP (1150) slop.

1180 CUBA Radio Rebelde, Villa Maria, Ciudad de la Habana; 1710-1730, xlnt as
always but w/ very annoying 20-ish cycle hum, presumably actually a het from
either another Rebelde outlet, Radio Martí, or blend.

1320 & 1450 FLORIDA "The Dove" WDDV, Venice (1320) and WSDV, Sarasota (1450);
simulcasting "The Dove" MOYL-ish format (this began a couple of weeks ago with
1450).  "All the songs you know and love on 1320 and 1450 -- The Dove" canned
drop at 1730.  1320 fair, 1450 very good.

1330 FLORIDA WWAB, Lakeland; 1750+, very good signal (I can berely hear this --
at best -- in Clearwater due to 1340 WTAN splatter and my more northerly
location).  Great Old School Chicago and Memphis blues/soul, USA Radio Network
news at 1800, "The Bone, Thunderbird, Turkey" at 1806 (huh?) and many other more
logical "Thunderbird 13" slogans later.  Also, a real, live Afro-Am male jock,
older gent who sounded lik ehe not only knew his music but enjoyed working.
Nice, warm audio to accompany the songs.  Rare and real local radio that must be
snuffed out no matter what the cost.

1520 WXYB, Indian Rocks Beach; 1725+, stumbled upon Hindi film vocals and
subcontinental quasi-techo instrumentals.  Hindi/English-alternating man w/
birthday wishes, then mentioned, "You are listening to "Radio Asia" every
Saturday, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m."  Xlnt.

99.9 MHz FLORIDA "WECX" Eckerd College, St. Petersburg; 1455+, this Part 15-ish
station noted on southbound US-19 at 22nd Ave. South on the way to Ft. DeSoto w/
a The Doors track, then obscure alt/techno-ish vocals nonstop (apparently
automated).  Live female jock after 5 p.m., with Modern/Alt rock (AFI, Bad
Religion, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Franz Ferdinand...).  I drove the signal all
the way to the drop-out point (remember: shitty Impala car radio) all the way to
the Central Avenue at 66th St. North intersection, and also at First Street
North on the east side of the county.  So, they did some work to their antenna
and/or power.  Stereo mode.

100.5 MHz FLORIDA "The Buzz" WHHZ, Newberry; 1928+ local level w/ "The Buzz,
Gainsville's Alternative" into The Killers track.

Terry L Krueger
Clearwater, Florida
USA
27.55.83 N, 82.46.08 W

Visit my "Florida Low Power Radio Stations" at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html
                        or:
http://www.geocities.com/geigertree/flortis.html

Preorder your WRTH 2007: