[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 7

** CANADA. Getting ready to listen to Vinyl Café via RCI, after hearing part of
The House on 9515, I went to 13655, but it was missing at 1357 UT Oct 7.
Quickly scanned the rest of 13 MHz for the transmitter on wrong frequency, but
did not find it, nor on any other band. However, it came back on in time for VC
starting at 1405. Afterwards at 1500 it went off again, but back in time for
Quirks & Quarks at 1505 --- must be having problems (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. CRI English heard on new unlisted 15595, Oct 7 at 1350 with ID and
``Chinese Idioms`` overriding some other station. That would be DW in Dari via
Wertachtal, per EiBi. Don`t find any listing of CRI on 15595, including July
update of ILG and WRTH A-06 supplement, so must be a recent addition, and just
another example of how not to be a good neighbor (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** GABON. Looking for the Africa Numéro Un harmonic of 9580 on 19160, it was
indeed audible, Oct 7 as early as 1334 with music, but just barely compared to
the previous afternoon; a little better at 1426 recheck. May well build up
during the day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. This will not be of any practical use outside my neighborhood, but
I include it as an example of odd things that can happen, and because this is
in effect my log where I report everything I hear.

Oct 7 at 1321 in bandscanning I found a wideband scratchy FM signal peaking
about 10780 and spreading some 50 kHz either way. Country, gospel music and
announcements in English, but very distorted. I realized this had to be an FM
radio radiating on its IF, nominally 10.7 MHz, but this one quite a bit off.
Certainly no radio in my house was turned on to such a station, so it must be
from a neighbor. I tuned around on the YB-400 to find a match, and did not have
to go further than 93.1, which would be the Pratt/Hutchinson KS station,
enhanced by tropo into a strong signal. So someone nearby was listening to it
and also retransmitting it without realizing it. Fortunately there was no NASA
launch activity, as 10780 is their prime communications frequency from
Cañaveral downrange and would have been blocked at WOR HQ (Glenn Hauser, Enid
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Checking WRMI, 9955, Saturday Oct 7, did not tune in until 1245 and
found the new exile show ``La Nueva Nación`` was just ending, so it`s only a
quarter-hour, not a half-hour as assumed. But there was NO jamming, as
previously this time period had been occupied by English, World of Radio, in
fact. 1246 full WRMI bilingual ID running almost a minute, and as usual pushing
schedule further behind; 1247 filling the gap with unscheduled airing of
Monitor DX, so I went ahead and listened. Mentioned a number of stations and
what they were doing in the 1940s; not sure if this was based on anniversary
dates, or just random info, including South Africa, Yugoslavia, Turkey,
Malaysia, Peru. Then a clip of R. Antarki, Lima, 1110.

(I looked it up in WRTH 2006 to check spelling; what does that name mean? On
page 326 it is amid other 1110 stations, but frequency shown as 1100! On page
592, the South American frequency listing, it is under 1100, apparently by
mistake.)

Main feature was about Radio Guairá, ZP6, Paraguay, 840 and inactive 5975, with
clip of its sign-off. Closing at 1300 credited José Elías Díaz along with
speaker and producer Daniel Camporini in Argentina.

As Jeff promised, WORLD OF RADIO 1331 ran afterwards, axually starting at
1302:20 and ending at --- 1331! Undermodulated by comparison as it seems to be
on mp3 file if you can`t adjust the playback volume. This bumped AWR Wavescan
which had been at 1300, but then it followed at 1332, so that in turn bumped
something else, not sure what. Fortunately Wavescan runs well short of a
semihour, because at 1358 recheck, huge open carrier from WEWN was already on
9955 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

CODAR --- made a point of checking out its frequency range Oct 7 around 1355:
swish-swish audible from 13425 past WINB 13570 up to 13605; at the fringes it
was quite weak (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Preorder your WRTH 2007:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0953586499/hardcoredxcom/