[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs April 2, 2008

** AFGHANISTAN [non]. R. Solh, 17700 via UK, was audible earlier on April 2,
already fair at 1410 but with some deep fades, same music as always during this
semihour, previously on 15265 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Excellent Firedrake reception, so we could try to enjoy the lively
music, but we can`t forget what it`s for. We wonder if the original performers
ever knew what nefarious business their art would be used for? April 2 at 1325
on 7310 // 7330 and also // 7445 with a SAH. 7330 was overshadowing RCI 7325.
Otherwise nothing much audible underneath on 7310 or 7330. 7310 presumably
Sound of Hope as before, but what`s being jammed on 7330? All I find listed is
VOR Vladivostok at 230 degrees toward China, but what language or service
meriting blockage? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. CRI relay, 9570, April 2 at 1347 in English, overcome by heavy
intermittent noise on its own modulation, also scratchy to the sides, but not
enough to bother Australia here on 9560, 9580 or 9590. How`s it in Ontario,
Andy Reid? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ECUADOR. HCJB, 11960, April 2 at 1359:30 as usual cut off Spanish
programming in progress which was just giving contact info, for automated ID
also giving contact info, but never with frequencies any more, which means they
can never get the frequencies wrong, as they had been doing for years! Ever
changing Apartado 17-17-691 is much less likely than a QSY. I must also give
HCJB points for their automated timesignal which unlike so many heard on SW is
pretty correct. It`s really the exception (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH [non]. ``Korean Cultural Programming`` as in WHR schedule for
KWHR 9930, April 2 at 1338 with ``Come Fly With Me,`` sounds like Harry
Connick, Jr., who sounds not quite like Sinatra; into announcements in Korean.
Sounds like American cultural programming to me! Now, which clandestine service
is this? No jamming (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA [and non]. Looks like 15660 is the best bet for North Americans
wanting to hear VORWS mornings in English: April 2 at 1400 with Soviet Gymn, or
whatever they call it now, 1401 Carl Watts signing on with generalities about
their programming, 1402 news. 15660 is a Moscow site at 100 degrees for South
Asia.

What about DW`s Amharic service via Rwanda, which was here in B-07 and
supposedly in A-08? There was a lite het less than 1 kHz on the hi side; maybe
that was a jammer, but nothing of DW audible now. VOR frequencies at 14-15 per
their website are: 15660, 15605, 11755, 9745, 7255, 7165. Before 1400, I was
getting S Asian language well on 15605 // 15550 with Russian music, but
contrary to above, 15605 went off at 1400 while 15550 continued in non-English.
It will be recalled that last A-season, one of these transmitters went haywire
and put spurs all over the area for weeks. Cross your fingers (Glenn Hauser,
OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SOUTH CAROLINA [non]. WBCQ on new 15420! April 2 at 1420, Brother Scare
intonations could be heard underneath DW Russian via Rampisham, with a SAH of
maybe 10 Hz. Just as I feared, 15420 is hardly a clear frequency for WBCQ,
unlike ex-17495. You might think DW at 62 degrees from Rampisham to Russia
would not be a problem back in CNAm, but you would be wrong. DW puts plenty of
signal over here off the back, like many UK transmissions. WBCQ was gaining a
little as time went on, but totally useless with all the QRM. Recheck at 1506,
when DW has supposedly switched to UAE site at 345 degrees for another Russian
hour, that one also aiming toward us.

DW is also scheduled on 15420 at 17-19 in Arabic, 325 degrees from Rwanda, and
19-21 in Arabic at 310 degrees. BBCWS is also listed for 15420 via Seychelles
at 13-17 to Africa, but may not be active, at least not heard here with the
other two stations going.

Seems to me WBCQ should have got the vacated KTBN frequency 15590 instead, and
inactive WRNO could keep the traditional 15420, which they could then worry
about if they ever get on the air.

BTW, at 1428, BS mentioned a camp meeting scheduled for April 19! Don`t we all
know the awful things that have happened on this date in history? The last days
are nigh! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** THAILAND. Bangkok VOLMET, 6676.5 SSB, April 2 at 1332, robot YL with quick
weather summaries in English. I never could understand the first word of each
item, i.e. the location whose conditions were forthcoming! It needs to work on
its enunciation/pronunciation. At first I thought this was an Aussie outlet
till I looked up the frequency, where Bangkok is reported on 6676, but this was
a bit higher than that (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U K [non]. As I tuned by 9670, April 2 at 1345, heard a time-signal about 2
seconds late compared to WWV. Standard remark. Who would broadcast a TS at such
an odd hour, Nepal? No, BBCWS Burmese service as scheduled to open at this time
via Singapore.

BBCWS with Discovery, about Antarctica, VG on 11750, Wednesday April 2 at 1354;
to be continued next week at 1332. This is Thailand at 25 degrees, so also
favoring us when FE conditions are good, at 12-14 only (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Pastor Pete Peters can often be heard trying to figure out his own SW
schedule. This was the case as I tuned by WWCR on new 9980, April 2 at 1336,
when PPP declared at 7:36 am, so it must have been live, he was on 5890, and
asked for phoned reports! WRONG. On 5890 now at that hour is VOA Tinian in
Korean.

In previous seasons, WWCR and IBB were allowed to collide on 5890, but now WWCR
finishes that at 1100, an hour before IBB opens. WWCR-4 is now scheduled 02-11
on 5890, 11-02 on 9980, and 24/7 PPP! At 1336, 9980 was still quite weak here,
but at midday should be monstrous like ex-9985/9975 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. Confirming WWCR-4 is not really on 5890 as claimed a few
minutes before by Pastor Pete Peters on 9980, checked 5890 April 2 at 1350 and
found VOA English lesson for Koreans on the theme of ``fasten your seat
belts``; good.

VOA Chinese, 11785, April 2 at 1351 was inbooming just as chinese @ voanews.com
was announced; and now it can not be said that VOA never broadcasts our
national anthem. The first 11 or 12 notes were heard before fading down and
under Chinese talk. Just another bit of produxion music for VOA, I guess, not
worth playing entirely.

This signal was loud and clear, and no jamming audible tho the situation inside
China is probably very different. 11785 is Udorn at 30 degrees and thus also
favoring NAm, so it is remarkable that WHRI is allowed to use the same
frequency on weekends, for Hmong Lao Radio at 13-14. Yet, with 500 kW aimed 315
degrees toward us, it usually overcomes VOA, but what about further west?
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. Despite staking out the lowest 22 mb frequency early, WINB
no longer has 13570 to itself. April 2 at 1432 I heard some co-channel
interference under preacher. VOA São Tomé is now scheduled on 13570 at 14-15,
then Botswana at 15-16. Furthermore, Issoudun at 16-19, and 13570 has been
reserved for DRM from Bulgaria until 1300 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Order your WRTH 2008: