[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 14-15

** AUSTRALIA. Since Pacific broadcast stations were incoming up to 15515, May 15 at 0600, I tuned around lower frequencies, and soon found some VOLMET in SSB English on about 11385, by robotic YL voice. Hard to copy the localities featured, but one of them was Adelaide, and each had an item called QNH with a figure slightly above 1000 --- I assume that is barometric pressure in millibars? A.k.a. ``altimeter``, but what does QNH stand for? Went off at 0605 before I had a chance to pinpoint the frequency on the FRG-7.

Per Larry Van Horn, in a Jan 10, 2008 UDXF yg post, this VOLMET frequency is really 11387, with Sydney on the hour and half-hour, followed in order by Kolkata, Krung Thep, Karachi, Singapore, Mumbai; also on 2965 and 6676 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CHINA. Looking around for Firedrake jamming on different frequencies than heard before: May 15 until 1300* on 15470. No target in Aoki to account for that.

Firedrake also good but fluttery on 14410 at 1333, vs Sound of Hope, inaudible, and presumably one of their little 1 kW transmitters, but worth jamming with 100 kW or more.

At 1342, FD also on 17575, but not 17565 where heard the day before around the same time. Again, nothing in Aoki to explain it other than this, which I think does jump around to avoid jamming, all daily, 100 kW, 131 degrees from Tashkent UZB 6909E4113N VOTi a08:

17557* VOICE OF TIBET 1045-1145 Chinese (17610 [alternate or ex?])
17557* VOICE OF TIBET 1145-1215 Tibetan
17557* VOICE OF TIBET 1215-1245 Chinese
17557* VOICE OF TIBET 1330-1400 Tibetan
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HAWAII. 10320-USB, AFN, May 15 at 0610 with NPR news items from Myanmar, Chengdu, US politix; weak but readable. Yes, per http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/AFNRadio.aspx
which is in UT -7, NPR news is scheduled at 0608-0613 UT, so it`s delayed 7 minutes. NPR news only appears at a few other times on the sked, always at H+:08: 0508, 1208, 1408; but Morning Edition runs at 10-12, and ATC at 21-2230. Night frequency for the Pearl Harbor transmitter is 6350, but 0610 is apparently not ``night`` yet tho it`s 2010 local HST, well after dark. Full AFN SW Sked: http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/ShortWave.aspx
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KOREA NORTH. VOK, 11710, English to NAm running long until 1356 then open carrier until 1400 IS and opening French, but then marred by NHKWR Sackville 11705 splatter. Not enough signal for the 11645v spur to make it thru today May 15 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Altho not audible in the morning of May 14 on 15420, WBCQ could be heard at 1910 with the New Mexico prophet, averaging S9+10, but to the ear only fair at peaks between complete fadeouts below noise level. No comparison to S9+25 strength of neighbor VOA-Greenville off the back on 15410, which also interfered with modulation spikes even in talk; if WBCQ were full carrier it would have a better chance of fending off such interference. Seemed there was a pause at 1948-1950, perhaps changing tapes. Never heard any WBCQ IDs.

Recheck at 2036, still audible and now without VOA 15410. DW Arabic via Rwanda meanwhile was on its new frequency 15445. Recheck at 2216, WBCQ had built up to S9+20 and still QRM-free, now with music, presumably GFRN. With this amount of carrier reduction, music sounds distorted, and to get it marginally listenable, BFO must be precisely zero-beat and not drifting. Hope it holds up until 2330 to include WORLD OF RADIO at 2300.

[Later:] dumped out of Good Friends and started the new WOR 1408 at 2300 sharp for its first SW airing. However, this may not be possible on weeks when I produce WOR on Wednesday evening instead of Tuesday. I usually do it on Tuesdays now.

Looking for WBCQ the next morning, May 15, at 1530, could not hear it on 15420 or 17495; a weak carrier from something on 15420 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Found a good carrier on 15540, May 15 at 1328 so stayed tuned. 1329 joined some music in progress, 1330 talk in Dutch, mentioned ``Radio Een`` which is the Radio One ID of VRT Belgium --- but it is certainly not scheduled here, and off abruptly at 1331* Now, 15540 is a RNW Dutch frequency via Bonaire only at 22-23, and from the strength I would have guessed Bonaire, not somewhere in Russia or UK whence VRT is relayed at other times. What`s going on here? Bonaire testing a VRT relay? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: