[HCDX] For young Indians, radio jockeying is a rage

If you are blessed with the gift of the gab and a
pleasant voice, then add a dash of humour, sensibility
and sensitivity and you might be the next best thing
on radio.

Radio jockeying has assumed a dynamic and competitive
nature since the introduction of nine private FM
channels in the Indian capital. And young enthusiasts
are up to it.

"We receive at least two CVs every alternate day. The
number of people aspiring to be a radio jockey (RJ) is
mind-boggling and increasing each day," Punit Mathur,
station director, Big 92.7 FM, said

Apurva Purohit, CEO, Radio City 91.1 FM, seconds that.
"The business of Indian radio is booming and with time
it will only get better. From just playing plain
vanilla music with standard radio jockey talk since
pre-private FM days, the profession is taking
centrestage," she said.

According to Mathur, it is mostly fresh graduates in
the age bracket of 19 to 20 years who desperately seek
to join the profession.

Ritika Singh, 20, is attracted by the fame,
recognition and sharing of views and ideas associated
with the profession.

She said: "I want to become an RJ as it makes a person
famous among the masses. Besides, I love to talk and
share views and ideas. Also, by being an RJ, I can
solve people's problems and counsel them, it will be a
bonus for me." This is what most people seeking a job
as a radio jockey say.

But the job entails a lot of hard work along with an
alert, liberal and a humorous bent of mind.

"Our profession requires awareness about the
surroundings. One has to be abreast of the latest in
the city so that a conversation can be struck with the
caller immediately," Archanaa who is an RJ in Mumbai
said on phone. She co-hosts "Whatte Fun Mornings" at
Mumbai's Radio City 91.1 FM.

Purohit explained: "Creativity in radio is all about
flexibility and fun. On a very broad spectrum other
than very profile-specific competencies, we seek
people with a passion for music, radio and
scriptwriting to be a part of our team.

"A creative bent of mind is a prerequisite. To be
successful, one should also have an out-of-the-box
approach regarding every issue."

For this, several media institutes as well as
stand-alone training institutes offer training in
radio jockeying. To help students and nurture their
aptitude of becoming radio jockeys, a number of
institutes across the country have initiated the
concept of community radios on their premises.

"Training is essential, if not a mandatory aspect of
being a radio jockey," Mathur said and added that
training always helps enhance the quality of a
person's output.

But is this profession good enough to be a prime time
career for a person?

RJ Anu, who hosts "Hi Delhi" on Radio Mirchi 98.3 FM,
vouches that it is a well paying job. "A fresher might
be paid around Rs.10,000 or even Rs.15,000 depending
upon the quality of work. Otherwise, highly
experienced RJs even earn up to Rs.80,000-90,000, a
month," she said.

Interestingly, professionals with different
educational backgrounds are also getting attracted to
this medium.

Purohit agreed and said: "We have a doctor as an RJ, a
psychotherapist as a producer and several engineers,
MBA graduates in our creative functions."

Added Archanaa: "The profession is indeed as
satisfactory and fulfilling as the job of other
professionals."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1155697&pageid=2

For Contact: Jaisakthivel,59,Annai Sathya Nagar,
             Arumbakkam,Chennai-600106,India
Visit: www.dxersguide.blogspot.com
       www.sarvadesavaanoli.blogspot.com
Mobile: +91 98413 66086