[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs May 27, 2008

** CHINA. When I heard somewhat religious-sounding songs with full orchestra, in unID language on 12260.0, S9+10 at 2013 May 27, I suspected I had something new and significant. Could it be a harmonic, 2 x 6130? But nothing audible there so early in the afternoon. Hmmm, WYFR still carries Taiwan relays and also does its own Chinese programming, so let`s look around for parallels --- soon found one on 11740, which I remembered is a WYFR frequency; trouble is they were not in sync. I finally decided that 12260 was a split second ahead of 11740. Could not be a WYFR mixing product, as there is also nothing midway on 12000, so two strixe against that idea.

Everything fell into place when I fired up the Aoki list: 12260 is a Sound of Hope frequency, so jammed, of course by CNR-1, no longer Firedrake. 11740 is Radio Free Asia, in Chinese via Tinian, and WYFR, not in Chinese does not come on 11740 until 2200. So all I was hearing were two Chicom jammers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA [and non]. 13760, May 27 at 1404, het of about 200 Hz on the hi side to RHC. This is where VOK has been colliding for a long time; a few days ago, two were within a few Hz. But now there is a third player; somehow I got on the mailing list of CRI`s French service, and this just came in:

``Changement de fréquence --- A partir de 22 mai 2008, la fréquence 13670 / 21.95 orientée vers l’Afrique du nord-ouest, est remplacée par 13760/21.8. Soyez fidèle (Service français de RCI, May 27, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

Time? Per EiBI it was: 13670 1400-1600 CHN China Radio Int. F WAf /ALB
So via Albania --- and THAT may be the SAH I have been hearing on RHC 13760, with Korea an audible het further off, so it`s a three way now, Commies vs Commies vs Commies! Way to go! (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1410, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA [and non]. Incredibly, instead of the whining 1-kHz het between 9525 and 9526, May 27 at 1434 check, only heard a lo het of 100 Hz or slightly more, estimated; Indonesian music, axually sounded more Mideastern, atop the other station, presumably CRI Russian as scheduled and often heard during this hour. Yes, VOI was back on 9525 after many months on 9526, but will it stay there? Or so is my assumption unless a third station has moved in to confuse things, like on 13760 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** TURKEY. Once again May 27, VOT 15450 coming in fairly well, but at 1306-1313 it dumped off the air repeatedly. I turned on the BFO and it was apparent that when it came back on each time, the power would build up to normal in 2 or 3 distinct steps (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WINB, 13570, May 27 at 2018 with the anapestic-cadenced New Mexico prophet, but not // 15420 WBCQ with same programming but at this moment breaking for contact info. 13570 had the usual unstable warble on transmitter when monitored with BFO. Per http://www.winb.com/schedule.htm Global Spirit Proclamation on WINB is M-F at 16-18 and 20-22. Does the speaker ever give her name? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [and non]. WRMI inaudible on 9955 at 1433 May 27, just some residual pulse Dentro-Cuban jamming. This is when the DX program Frecuencia al Día is scheduled, Tuesdays 1430. Perhaps as the only Spanish program during the entire week in this semi-hour it attracts undue attention as possibly counter-revolutionary; tough luck, Dino, who isn`t even Cuban! However, at 2011 recheck, WRMI was in the clear, no jamming, fair signal at S9+18 with programming in English about Poland; from WRN, Polish Radio as scheduled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. KVOH, 17775, May 27 at 2025, overmodulated but muffled and distorted, worse than usual, Spanish religious talk with piano(?) background. Figured I would find the 17920/17630 spurs along with it, but not this time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: