Re: [HCDX] Fay almost over me

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 5:00 AM,  <rfoxwor1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At the risk of becoming OT ... as a fellow Floridian ...

I'm a former Floridian (Tampa and Palm Bay).

I do a better job of predicting weather, including hurricanes, than
the TV weather folks and in some cases NOAA and NHC.

A big pet peeve of mine.  During the winter the dew point might be,
say, 38° F.  The local TV station will predict "hard freeze for
Austin" which involves me bringing in plants which I know I don't have
to do.  The temperature can't drop below the dew point and during
periods of static weather the dew point isn't going to change
drastically in a few hours.  The next morning the same station will
say, "The low last night in Austin was 39°."  WTH?  Where's the
apology for their wrong forecast just 8 hours before?

I could go on, but I don't want to drag this list completely off
topic.  I think the old maxim of "if it bleeds it leads" applies to
weather.  The masses want to hear about disaster and not "oh, the
storm is going to miss us by 100 miles".

John

--
John Mayson <john@xxxxxxxxx>
Austin, Texas, USA