[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs August 29-30

** CUBA. Today`s discrepancy report on RHC --- I should be on their payroll for the services I render.

Aug 30 at 1340, 13680 had usual big carrier, but hum and undermodulated. Wiggle that patchcord! Much weaker on 13760 but with normal modulation, so better to listen there, Agenda 21 program. At 1405, 13680 still the same and I was listening to 15120 when they were plugging the day`s Mesa Redonda show at 2230, or rather 6:30 Cuban time as they always give it only, on 6000 and 9820, which would be about preparations for dealing with H. Gustav.

Then 15120 cut off abruptly at 1409, back on by 1412. It doesn`t take a hurricane for RHC to be interrupted by power failures, which like everything else can be blamed on the ``genocidal`` US blockade of Cuba.

If Gustav does cross near Habana, it will be interesting to note if any of the usual jamming is knocked off. But the DentroCuban Jamming Command has priority over RHC for whatever power is available (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** RUSSIA. 15510, Aug 30 at 1347 with pop songs by male singer in Russian, but 1350 announcement in a SW Asian language, 1358 VOR theme music. Per Aoki, at 12-14 this is Pashto/Dari, 250 kW, 140 degrees from Samara, so off-the-back here = 320 degrees (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SRI LANKA. IBB Iranawila, inbooming to OK on the other worldside; only wish SLBC could do as well. Like most relay hosts, they failed to demand access for their own broadcasts as a condition of IBB coming in --- or even to other sites in the same network.

I refer to 15690 with R. Farda, 315 degrees toward Iran, Aug 30 at 1345 with a couple of IDs during music. 15790 with Aap ki Dunya, 332 degrees from SL for Pakistan, also very good at same time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. It may be impossible to find any info on the VOA website about temporary programming and frequency changes, but at least they make announcements about it. Aug 29 at 0628 on 6180 Greenville, after the DemoCon was over, VOA African service plugged its live coverage next week of the RepubCon, which would be at 0100-0300 on 15580 and 6080, Sept 1-4 --- in UT, that apparently means it starts on Sunday evening before the con, or did VOA lapse into local days mixed with Universal time? Also mentioned a special evening transmission on same two frequencies, but I was not ready to copy and missed the details. Anyhow, 6080 was previously reported on the air before its usual *0300 when it is São Tomé. As for 15580, seems unlikely that would be usable from an African site that early in the morning, so maybe from another site to the east in Asia (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Listened to the WRNO 7505 sign-on at 0100 UT Aug 29, and immediately into news read by local announcer. Top story was about Christian schools vs Sharia law in Nigeria; also items re Thailand, South Ossetia, UK terrorist threats, Obama about to accept. Lasted only 3 minutes, the news update by ``John ----``, ``as reported by the BBC``. Hard to believe a real BBC newscast would have led with the Nigeria story, so WRNO apparently picks items from BBC news and slants them for their own ideology. A much greater public service would be to relay real BBCWS news on SW in NAm.

Caleb Duncan followed as apparently live DJ starting at 0103, asking for requests by e-mail to wrnoradio@xxxxxxxxxx and starting with ``Carry On, My Wayward Son`` -- gospel rock, requested by a previous 1980s WRNO listener in Minnesota (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: