[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 17-18, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 17-18, 2008

** ARGENTINA. RAE, 15344.9, Oct 17 at 2320 with song, fair reception. Others have reported it varying on the hi side of 15345, but I find it on the lo side compared to 9345.0 and 7345.0 stations on the FRG-7.

BTW, Buenos Aires is supposed to go on DST of UT -2 from Oct 19, so from next week look for all the external services one UT hour earlier, even tho that is nonsensical for the audience, including English hours at 17 M-F on 15345v, 01 UT Tue-Sat on 11711v. This means for example in DST-observing areas of NAm such as the Central Zone, English has been at 9 pm. Next week will be at 8 pm. And from November will be at 7 pm local!

DST in Argentina is a matter of dispute, with some provinces opting out of it but Bs. As. is what matters as far as RAE is concerned. See
http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/argentina-dst-2008-2009.html (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** BIAFRA [non]. On Sept 26 I confirmed V. of Biafra International, via WHRI was on 17650, tho just barely audible for the weekly Friday-only broadcast at 20-21 UT. Rechecked Oct 17, zero on 17650, but could just be even poorer propagation? No, there it was on 15280 again, which was the frequency used in July and August. Unmistakable orator speaking, tho reception here also very poor. I can only assume that these abrupt frequency changed are prompted by monitoring in Biafraland. I see that the website http://www.biafraland.com/vobi.htm now shows 15280 correctly; I don`t recall if they ever got around to showing 17650 during the brief period it was in use. BTW, for B-08 the plans are to go to 15665, but I`ll believe it if and when I hear it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. RHC SNAFU report: 17705 transmitter even more out of order than before, Oct 17 at 2330 IS, opening Portuguese; modulation extremely distorted and cutting in and out. With BFO on, I can tell the carrier is not cutting out, altho it is slightly unstable. RHC Portuguese also on much better modulated 13760 but not // --- eventually found 13760 to be running 1 minute and 1 second behind 17705!

After months of colliding with Spain on 11680, RHC has moved to 11690, noted Oct 17 at 2346 in Spanish, an echo apart from // 9600. 11690 suffers the usual RTTY QRM from the lo side, but RHC almost overriding it at the moment. Meanwhile, REE Spain much weaker and audible in the clear on 11680, stronger on // 9535.

This collision lasted 6.5 months, and we have been pointing it out almost as long. Did their frequency manager finally get around to reading old DXLDs? RHC first appeared on 11680 at the beginning of March, and REE started using it at the end of March with the A-08 schedule. REE duly registered it. As an outlaw nation, Cuba does not register any of its frequencies with HFCC, so other stations are on their own when unexpectedly hit by such collisions.

I see that the RHC transmission schedule at http://www.radiohc.cu/espanol/frecuencia/frecuencias-espanol.htm
has been updated to show 11690 at 0000-0500 to SAm; close enough? 11680 was also noted previously on air well before 0000.

And 11690 is also shown instead of 11670 for Aló Presidente Sundays from 1400 to Caribe. I haven`t checked that yet, listed // 11875, 13680, 13750, 17750, to find out whether RHC is still broadcasting anything now that Chávez has supposedly suspended his show until after the late-November elexions. Remind me to do that this Sunday, or please check it yourself.

Back to Oct 17: RHC English on 9550 at 2355 was poor, and also bothered by spurious pulses from the DentroCuban Jamming Command centered on R. Martí 9565. These pulses typically extend plus and minus 10 kHz from victim channels, which is completely uncalled-for and a cynical exercise in callousness; and were worst here on 9555 and 9575 Médi-Un, but now even reaching into RHC 9550 itself. DentroCubans vs DentroCubans! Serves them right (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. VOI still on 9526 for the third day in a row, Oct 17 after 1300 in English, and good reception again. Advise everyone in NAm to enjoy it while they can, as you never know when they will move again back to 11785-11786. I see that 9526 first appeared Oct 30, 2007, after a spell on 9525 (or slightly below). 9526 was also in use until late July this year, but English time change from 1400 to 1300 was not until early July, so before then English had the China 9525 clash at 1400, and in summer 9526 reception was not so good at 1300 even if clear of QRM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LAOS [non]. Hmong North Radio, 5875 via WHRI, confirmed UT Sat 0003 with Hmong talk. Sure sounds like the same announcer as on Hmong Lao Radio. Loud and clear, presumably with rustic music later in the semihour but I couldn`t stay with it this time. Other weekly broadcast is 25 hours later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. R. Educación, in the clear on 6185 tho squeezed by 6180 and 6190 transmitters, at 0000 Oct 18 giving contact addresses in Spanish and English, each twice: Apartado/P O Box 44277, 03101 México DF. This may be new; not as in WRTH 2008 which only gives a physical address (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PORTUGAL. RDPI, 11630 at 2349 Oct 17; this is 100 kW, 261 degrees to Mexico, CAm, Caribbean, NW SAm; at 2354 checked // 9715, and found it extremely strong, and splattering plus and minus 30 kHz. Unlike Phil Rafuse on PEI, who previously found this transmission almost hi-fi worthy of widest bandwidth, I found it too distorted to qualify for that, but it is certainly potent, 300 kW at 300 degrees to NAm. Both are scheduled only Mon-Fri 2300-0200 Tue-Sat (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Surprised to hear myself on WRMI 9955, WORLD OF RADIO 1430, Friday Oct 17 at 2352, mixing with the DentroCuban Jamming Command, but at least audible. This is when Lan Lamphere`s Overnight AM show just re-started two days ago at 21-24 weekdays. Is it gone already? No, Jeff White says today`s show was inexplicably half an hour short, so what better way to fill the time (than with another Okie?).

WOR 1430 also reconfirmed on Area 51 via WBCQ 5110 at 2300 Friday, well-received even on the portable DX-375. 7415 was absent during the scheduled Thu 2330 WOR broadcast Oct 16; 7415 was back on with B.S. at 0145 recheck Oct 17 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WWRB, 5050, with preacher in English Oct 18 at 0004 putting weaker distorted spur on 5034.0. As the modulation on the spur audibly peaked, the S-meter visibly dipped. Is this what you call negative modulation? Also could detect a matching carrier on 5066, i.e. 16 kHz on the other side, but masked by too much WWCR 5070 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. CVC A Sua Voz, Miami via Calera de Tango, Chile, 15410, Friday Oct 17 at 2322 with John Williams music. This Mon-Sat hour at 2300, Sem Limites, is the only time CVC is worth listening to, altho the classical music is interrupted for hard-sell promos every few minutes, even with non-classical produxion music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A [non]. After checking out RHCuba Portuguese on 13760, noticed VOA Spe-cial Eng-lish news about Somalia on 13755, Oct 17 at 2337; 2338 review news headlines, into short story. Weak with heavy flutter. This is Udorn, Thailand, at 30 degrees inadvertently toward NAm, while the R. Thailand 15275 at 0200 to WNAm is on a 38-degree azimuth (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

http://mail.yahoo.com

Order your WRTH 2008: